MlS power rankings
Wednesday , July 04, 2012 - 5:22 PM
Team (prev. rank) Comment
1. San Jose (1) With 14 goals at the midway point, Chris Wondolowski was on pace to break the league record of 27.
2. D.C. United (3) Chris Pontius scored an amazing goal vs. Montreal to lead his team to a fifth win in six games.
3. N.Y. Red Bulls (2) Top scorer Kenny Cooper hasn’t scored since May, and Thierry Henry hasn’t scored since April.
4. Chicago (6) GK Sean Johnson, 23, came up huge in a three-game winning streak with 16 saves.
5. Real Salt Lake (4) Three-game losing streak is the team’s first since July 2007. Hosts slumping Seattle next.
6. Sporting K.C. (5) Once the runaway leader in the East, continues to drop points with back-to-back losses.
7. Columbus (8) Tony Tchani (two goals) and Chris Birchall (two assists) have led the way in the past two games.
8. Vancouver (7) New DP midfielder Barry Robson became eligible last week and could soon make his debut.
9. Houston (10) Went 4-0-2 in its first six at home after opening the new BBVA Compass Stadium in May.
10. Sounders FC (9) Defenders are finally getting healthy, but goalkeepers are the latest to struggle with injuries.
11. Colorado (13) Will get familiar with the Sounders this month with a road game Saturday, home game July 28.
12. L.A. Galaxy (11) Landon Donovan is expected to become the first 12-time MLS All-Star this season.
13. Chivas USA (14) Juan Pablo Angel has three goals this season, the lowest in the league for a team leader.
14. Montreal (12) Legendary Italian defender Alessandro Nesta, 36, is a big-name target for the expansion side.
15. New England (15) Got a dramatic stoppage-time equalizer for the second straight game Saturday vs. Seattle.
16. Portland (16) One of two teams (Dallas) without a road win this season; 2-14-8 on the road in two years.
17. Toronto FC (19) Unbeaten in four since a coaching change, but it’s probably much too late for a playoff push.
18. Philadelphia (17) Recently cut ties with scouting director Diego Gutierrez, youth director Alecko Eskandarian.
19. FC Dallas (18) This week GK Kevin Hartman should become the first in MLS history to play 400 games.STORY:201207040002MlS power rankings/Sports/2012/07/04/MlS-power-rankings.html-1