MIAMI - George Zimmerman posted bond and walked out of jail Friday, a day after the judge in his second-degree murder case set his new bond at $1 million.
Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, said donations to his client’s legal defense fund increased nearly 20-fold since Thursday.
Seminole County Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester announced Thursday that Zimmerman could leave jail pending trial if he posted a $1 million bond. O’Mara said the bond cost Zimmerman $85,000 cash, because he already spent $15,000 on a bondsman fee when he was first released in April.
Zimmerman’s earlier bond, set at $150,000 on April 20, had been revoked because he misled the court about the amount of money he raised online. A legal defense site that normally gets about $1,000 in donations a day received an outpouring of support in the past 24 hours.
"Since the $1,000,000 bond was made public on July 5, supporters have donated approximately $20,000," O’Mara said. "In the two months prior to the Court’s Order Setting Bail, the George Zimmerman Defense Fund had received approximately $55,000."
A temporary safe house has been located where Zimmerman will stay until a more secure location is identified, O’Mara said. Under the terms of his bail, Zimmerman must remain in Seminole County.
)2012 The Miami Herald
Visit The Miami Herald at www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services