So who should you cheer for in the 2012 London Games?
Anyone who strikes your fancy.
Part of the fun of the Olympic moment is the chance to root for the underdog, cheer for your country, learn about the obscure sports and unknown competitors who surge past us so quickly.
Here is our list of Utahns, athletes with Utah ties and beyond.
Topping the list are volleyball stars Jake Gibb and Logan Tom, both strong medal contenders.
Gibb, a Bountiful native, is one of the best beach volleyball players in the world.
Tom is a veteran of the U.S. women's volleyball team. Both are looking for their first medals.
* Arielle Martin of Cedar Hills will compete in BMX cycling.
* Shalaya Kipp of Salt Lake City will compete in the 3,000-meter women's steeplechase.
* Jill Camarena-Williams of Provo will compete in women's shot put.
Others with Utah ties:
* The Canada women's basketball team boasts former University of Utah standouts Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn, as well as current Ute Kim Plouffe.
* Southern Utah University distance runner Cam Levins, coming off perhaps the greatest season in recent NCAA history, will represent his native Canada in the 5,000 and 10,000 meters.
* Former BYU standouts Russell Holmes and Rich Lambourne are key members of the U.S. men's volleyball squad, whil Ryan Millar will make the trip as a reserve player.
* BYU swimmers Rafael Alfaro and Andrew Rutherford will represent the nations of El Salvador and Bolivia, respectively.
* Ex-Jazzman Andrei Kirilenko will lead Russia into the fray. He had a super season in Europe.
* Deron Williams, the former Jazzman now with the Brooklyn Nets, will be among the latest U.S. dream team to go for the gold.