Thursday , July 26, 2012 - 5:21 PM
Joshua Mayers’ MLS power rankings
Team (prev. rank) Comment
1. San Jose (1) Offense gets a lot of love, but three defenders (Corrales, Morrow, Beitashour) were All-Stars.
2. N.Y. Red Bulls (5) The possible addition of Tim Cahill from the EPL could make them the MLS favorite.
3. Real Salt Lake (4) Few might guess that forward Alvaro Saborio is the league’s third-leading scorer with 11 goals.
4. Sporting K.C. (2) Kei Kamara’s 81 shots are tops in MLS, but his seven goals don’t quite crack the top 10.
5. Houston (8) Three-straight wins has vaulted Dominic Kinnear’s team back into contention in the East.
6. D.C. United (3) Coach Ben Olsen gave captaincy of the MLS All-Star Team to his own star, Dwayne De Rosario.
7. Sounders FC (7) Might the long-awaited return of GK Michael Gspurning (hip) come this weekend in Colorado?
8. Vancouver (10) Midseason lineup shuffling paid off with a big win against league-leading San Jose last week.
9. L.A. Galaxy (9) Unbeaten in four due to a high-powered offense that has 38 goals, second most in MLS this year.
10. Chicago (6) Sent DP Federico Puppo out on loan to make room for another DP in Sherjill MacDonald.
11. Columbus (11) Yawn. No other MLS team has less than 20 goals scored and 20 goals allowed this season.
12. Chivas USA (12) The only team in the league with as many road wins and home wins at three apiece.
13. New England (13) Saer Sene, one of the MLS’s top newcomers, has cooled off with one goal in his past eight games.
14. Philadelphia (14) Talk about a messy divorce. Former coach Peter Nowak has sued the team for unpaid wages.
15. Montreal (15) High-profile defender Alessandro Nesta is set to debut. The league’s worst defense needs him.
16. Toronto FC (17) Three straight wins have the Reds 5-2-4 in last 11 after starting season with nine straight losses.
17. FC Dallas (18) How will the Brek Shea saga play out after the team beat Portland 5-0 when he was benched?
18. Colorado (16) Nine road losses are worst in the West. Thankfully, three of the next four are at home.
19. Portland (19) A five-goal loss was embarrassing enough. That it was vs. lowly Dallas makes it even worse.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.