HOOPER -- A piece of metal in a grain field sparked a five-acre fire that burned most of the field Saturday.
A farmer was swathing grain at his field on the 4100 South block of 5100 West when the swather picked up the metal, which likely caused sparks and started the fire, said Weber Fire District Capt. Rick Cooper. Dispatchers got the call about the fire shortly after 2 p.m.
Seven firefighters arrived and kept the growing fire from spreading to the homes west and south of the field.
The fire was out in less than an hour, but firefighters stuck around a while longer to make sure it stayed that way.
Cooper did not have an estimate on the money loss of the grain.