SALT LAKE CITY -- Salt Lake County officials say avian botulism is likely to blame for dozens of duck and geese deaths at the Sugar House Park pond.
Most of the birds that died over the weekend were removed by Monday morning. Officials don't recommend picking up dead birds, although they say this type of botulism doesn't affect humans.
Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation spokesman Martin Jensen tells The Salt Lake Tribune says it's not uncommon to see a spate of duck deaths during the summer because flows are running low in the ponds.
Joggers and other park guests say they were horrified to see ducks flapping around in distress and dying in the water during their visits.