125-year-old Hooper home destroyed by fire

Aug 9 2012 - 2:52pm

Images

A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)
A 120-year-old home containing an antique tractor, tools and a workshop were destroyed by fire late Wednesday night in Hooper. Fire officials suspect a compost pile spontaneously combusted sparking the blaze. (SCOTT SCHWEBKE/Standard-Examiner)

 

HOOPER -- A workshop and a vacant 125-year-old house were destroyed in Hooper late Wednesday night by a large fire.

 

The structures located at about 5500 South and 6500 West caught fire at about 9:45 p.m., said Ted Black, fire marshal for the Weber Fire District. The names of the owners of the buildings were not released.

The fire apparently started in a compost pile outside of the workshop and then spread into the house, said Black. It's believed that hot weather on Wednesday may have contributed to spontaneous combustion in the compost pile, said Black.

When firefighters arrived the shop was fully engulfed in flames and was spreading to the house. The wood-frame house has been abandoned for 25 years and is about 120 years old. The owners live next door and watched the fire-fighting efforts but were not injured.

Tools, a tractor, generator and some wood products in the shop were destroyed. Damages to the buildings and contents are estimated at about $100,000 said Black.

More than 15 firefighters from the Weber Fire District, Riverdale Fire Department and Roy Fire Department responded. They remained at the scene until 8 a.m. Thursday monitoring hot spots.

Click to watch videos shot by homeowner Debbie Dorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcb9wPbHG04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4_fBJesD20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNJd4-_rrU

 

From Around the Web

  +