BRIGHAM CITY -- As far as season openers go, it doesn't get much better than Box Elder's performance Monday night at home against Weber.
Using a running game to set up the pass almost to perfection, and a stifling defense that was in mid-season form, the Bees overcame opening-game jitters to cruise to a comfortable 26-0 victory. It marked the second straight season the Bees shutout the Warriors in the season opening for both squads. Last year Box Elder defeated Weber 41-0.
"We had to battle to get that shutout," said Box Elder coach Robbie Gunter. "We played through some mistakes and were a little rusty at times, but I liked that our kids kept playing. It's a nice way to start the season."
After a scoreless first quarter, the Bees finally got on the board on the first of three scoring strikes by quarterback Shad Watson. On just its second play of the second stanza, Watson threw a perfect strike to a wide open McKay Parrish from 41 yards out. The Bees padded their lead on an impressive 10-play, 75-yard scoring drive on their first possession of the second half capped by another Watson-to-Parrish TD pass, this time a 22-yarder.
Box Elder used the same game plan the next time it got the ball, rushing five straight times before Watson hit Dallin Stewart for a 44-yard score. Just for good measure, Box Elder score one final time midway through the fourth quarter on a 15-yard run by Matt Williams.
Weber had its chances to score, but twice threw interceptions deep in Box Elder territory, once in the second quarter and again in the third.
* NORTHRIDGE 41, LOGAN 27: At Logan, the Knights dominated the middle quarters and earned an eye-opening win over the Grizzlies.
Nate Kusuda threw a pair of touchdown passes, while David Adams added a rushing and receiving touchdown.
* WOODS CROSS 42 VIEWMONT 16: At Bountiful, the visiting Wildcats roared out to a 27-10 lead at halftime and enjoyed the win over their rivals.
* BOUNTIFUL 31, LONE PEAK 21: At Bountiful, the Braves stopped Lone Peak's 14-game winning streak with a good second quarter.
Trevor Lloyd passed 18 for 26 for 247 yards.
* BEAR RIVER 27, NORTH SANPETE 12: At Garland, Kyle Zundel ran for two scores and passed for two. Zundel racked up 160 rushing yard.
Brock Hill led defense with seven solo tackles and two sacks.
* SKY VIEW 21, OLYMPUS 14: At Salt Lake City, Sky View jumped out to a 21-0 lead on a pair of touchdowns from Daniel Lemon and held on.
* MOUNTAIN CREST 54, MOUNTAIN VIEW 14: At Hyrum, Jamison Webb through four touchdowns and 220 yards on 16-for-22 passing to lead Mountain Crest. Eddy Hall and Gaje Ferguson added three scores apiece.