OGDEN -- Firefighters donned protective breathing gear Wednesday night in response to an ammonia leak at a business in the Ogden Industrial Park.
The incident was reported at 7:44 p.m. at Premium Ice & Frozen Storage, 1781 W. 2800 South, said Ogden Fire Department Battalion Chief Hal Van Meeteren. The business was empty at the time and there were no injuries.
Earlier Wednesday, crews were working on Premium Ice's ammonia system and on a pump that keeps the chemical from building up, Van Meeteren said. However the pump failed and a release valve intermittently sent ammonia into the air.
The scent of ammonia hung heavy in the air Wednesday night and was noticeable to workers at Albion, a minerals company across the street from Premium Ice, who reported the leak to emergency dispatchers. Albion employees were not evacuated, said Van Meeteren.
A Premium Ice employee entered the business shortly before 9 p.m. and alleviated the ammonia problem. Ammonia in highly concentrated amounts can be dangerous and poses a hazard to lungs and skin, said Van Meeteren.
Seven Ogden firefighters responded to the ammonia leak.