SYRACUSE -- It didn't take very long for the Clearfield Falcons to gain the upper hand on Thursday afternoon.
The Falcons got the game-opening goal from senior Kelsee Bowen just five minutes into the match and the defense did the rest as Clearfield took down crosstown rivals Syracuse 3-0 in the last game before both teams open region play.
"I was proud of what the girls did today," Clearfield coach Lauren Clifford said. "After (Judge Memorial) canceled on Tuesday, we had a great intrasquad scrimmage and it gave our girls some confidence heading into the game today. Our seniors played well and Kaitlyn Stratton held up in goal and did a great job of keeping a clean sheet. I know that we needed to win this game to make sure we were ready for region play next week. It's a good boost for the girls that have struggled at times this season."
Bowen took a free kick from 30 yards out and her shot sailed over the Syracuse keeper's head and just underneath the bar for the quick lead. Both teams spent the majority of the time playing in the middle third of the field for the rest of the first half, with neither side registering more than two shots on goal.
Just before the break, Bowen got into the scoring act again. She knocked home another long distance shot that ended up looking like her previous goal and gave the Falcons even more confidence heading into the second half.
Syracuse seemed more poised and aggressive in the second half and tried to get a couple of shots on frame from its forwards, but were never able to figure out Stratton.
Freshman Afton Barlow wiggled through the Titans defense and crammed her shot to the near post and into the back of the net for the final goal.
* BEN LOMOND 2, MORGAN 0: At Morgan, the young Trojans held the Scots off for the first half, but Ben Lomond scored a pair after the break for the shutout win.
Kenzie Abbott and McKenzie Tuck scored for Ben Lomond.
* OGDEN 4, BEAR RIVER 0: At Mount Ogden Park, the Tigers scored a pair in each half and Kelsey East posted a shutout.
Jaimie Hansen had a goal and an assist, and Lindsey Bray, Avery Calton and Kennedy Howard also had goals.
Amy Ulrich and Kiley Porter also posted assists for the unbeaten Tigers.
In the other game, Stansury edged Tooele 1-0.
* FREMONT 3, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Plain City, Mariah Elmer scored a pair of goals to boost the Silver Wolves to their fourth win of the season.
Mikayla Elmer scored the other Fremont goal on a free kick. Riley Porter assisted on an early goal as the Silver Wolves led 3-0 at the break.
Porter and Kelsey Anderson boosted the Fremont defense, while Kenzie Andersen and Lexi Burnett shared the shutout in goal.
* BONNEVILLE 5, WEBER 1: At Washington Terrace,
Sienna Thornock recorded a hat trick to lead the Lakers. Hannah Shore and Elle Hall also scored for Bonneville; Shalee Davis scored for Weber.
* DAVIS 4, BOUNTIFUL 0: At Bountiful, Ireland Dunn scored twice for the Darts. Sarah Beecher posted the shutout.
In other games, Juan Diego whipped St. Joseph 7-0, Lone Peak defeated Viewmont 3-1, and Roy fell to Pleasant Grove 8-0.
* bonneville def. hillcrest 26-24, 25-14, 25-14: At Midvale, Kelly Roberts had 12 kills, 21 digs, one block and three aces; Kalyn Sotomayor had six kills, five blocks, two digs and six aces; setter Elora Penrod had 13 assists, seven digs and one ace; and setter Andy Hancock had seven assists, one kill, nine digs and four aces for the Lakers (5-5 overall).
* box elder def. bear river 25-19, 25-16, 25-17: At Garland, Alyssa Park had 10 kills and six digs; Stephany Peterson had four kills, eight service points and two aces; Samantha Getz had five service points and one ace; Caitlin Wiggins had six digs; setter Monica Olsen had 18 assists and three digs; and libero Michelle Davis had eight digs for the Bears (3-7), who lost to the cross county rival Bees (5-5) for the second time this season.
* Ogden def. Roy 14-25, 25-16, 25-17, 25-19: At Ogden High, Madi Kramer had six kills, three digs, one assist, 23 service points and eight aces; Tori Brown had four kills, one dig and seven service points; Chloe Oki had eight kills, two blocks, four digs and one service point; and setter Clara Call had 18 assists, five digs and seven service points for the Tigers, who won their season opener.
The winless Royals are 0-3.
* Herriman def. clearfield 25-16, 25-14, 25-8: At Clearfield, the Falcons dropped to 2-8 with the setback.
* Rowland Hall-St. Mark's def. Layton Christian 25-14, 25-20, 25-17: At Layton Christian, the Winged Lion soared past the Eagles.
* Pleasant Grove def. northridge 25-23, 22-25, 25-17, 25-18: At Pleasant Grove on Wednesday, Kaitlin Verbitski had eight kills, six digs and one assist; Alex Smith had six kills, one dig and four aces; Alex Gardner had four kills, two digs and one ace; Shayd Wright had three kills, five digs and two aces; Brittley Eldredge had two kills and one block assist; setter Aimee Kyed had 19 assists, two kills, one block assist and eight digs; and libero Nikki Hansen had 11 digs and one assist for the Knights (1-1).