layton officer shoots suspect after being attacked

Tuesday , March 18, 2014 - 2:52 PM

Loretta Park, Scott Schwebke

LAYTON — The brother of a man shot by police said fear may have played a role in why the man attacked an officer.

“He’s a calm guy,” Lance Linton said. ‘He’s had a rough time. He’s been in prison, but he’s never really hurt anyone before.”

Linton, along with his mother and father watched police conduct their investigation from a neighbor’s driveway Wednesday morning.

A Utah Highway Patrol helicopter flew over the scene at one point during the investigation.

Yellow police crime tape cordoned off two homes on Miller Avenue where a Layton police officer shot a 30-year-old man while responding to a domestic violence situation.

Layton Police Lt. Garret Atkin said the man is Joshua Robert Isakson. He is in the intensive care unit at a local hospital.

Linton, 21, who does not live in the home, said he got a call from his mom at 5:20 a.m. Wednesday.

“I could tell she was upset and she was saying something, but I said something stupid,” Linton said. “I said it’s not like someone’s dying and she said, ‘That’s not funny, Lance. Your brother was shot by a cop.”

Linton, who also lives in Layton, then left his home to be with his parents.

Police were called at 11 p.m. Tuesday to the home at 565 E. Miller Ave. after an individual called 911 to report a woman was being assaulted by her boyfriend, Atkin said.

“The same caller also reported they felt the suspect was going to kill the victim,” Atkin said during a news conference at 2 a.m. Wednesday a block from the crime scene.

When police arrived they were informed the suspect had dragged the victim across the street to a residence at 566 E. Miller Ave.

Information was not available whether the suspect or victim lived at 565 or 566 E. Miller Ave., said Atkin.

A Layton police officer was in the home at 566 E. Miller Ave. investigating the domestic violence incident when he was attacked by the suspect. “The officer ended up firing several rounds striking the suspect in the chest,” Atkin said. “At that point several officers came to (his) aid and secured the suspect.”

Linton said from what he understands, his brother told his mom and others not to call the police, but when Isakson heard police were on the way, “that’s when he lost control. He doesn’t like cops.”

Linton said he does not understand why the police officer used a gun instead of a Taser.

“Two shots of a Taser would’ve taken (Isakson) down,” Linton said.

His father Neil Linton said he was asleep and woke up when he heard his wife screaming and then three gunshots.

“Joshua wasn’t drinking,” said Neil Linton. “The cop was justified in the shooting. Joshua was beating down that cop pretty good. He had face and head injuries.”

Neil Linton said Wednesday his stepson was still in critical condition and was at Ogden Regional Medical Center undergoing treatment.

Lance Linton said if his brother had been drinking the situation could have been a lot worse.

The officer was also taken to a hospital with head and facial injuries and was released after treatment, Atkin said.

The officer is now on administrative leave, which is standard policy following a shooting.

The woman, who has not been identified, was also transported to a hospital and has been released.

Charges are pending against Isakson.

Atkin said at the news conference he had not been informed if the suspect had a weapon when he was shot.

A special protocol was activated, which involves a mutual aid agreement between Davis County law enforcement agencies to investigate shootings involving police.

The shooting prompted several residents to watch activity by Layton and Syracuse police from their front yards.

Ray Anderson gathered in front of his home with several neighbors to watch investigators collect evidence.

I heard shots and I heard sirens,” he said early Wednesday morning.

According to the state court website, a Joshua Robert Isakson with a birth date of Jan. 5, 1982, has four third-degree felony convictions in 2nd District Court — damage to the jails, burglary, theft and acquisition of a financial card — with the latest conviction in 2009. In 2009 he was sentenced to serve four concurrent sentences of zero to five years in Utah State Prison.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.