SYRACUSE -- Maggie Hansen does not want her high school career to end without another state 5-A volleyball tournament appearance.
The Titans last played at the 2009 5-A tournament -- they tied for second place in Region 1 that season -- which was Hansen's freshman year at Syracuse High School.
"Making it to state is our number one goal," said Hansen, a senior outside hitter. "We've already cleared Nov. 2-3 on our calendar. We really want to get there."
After a second-place finish Saturday in the silver bracket of the Claim Jumper tournament at Bingham, the Titans spanked Roy 25-11, 25-13, 25-12 in 57 minutes in Thursday's non-league match.
"Roy played hard and was scrappy," said the 17-year-old Hansen. "This was one of our better overall matches of the season. We have a new face of the Titans. This year we have a new coach (Nicole Davies) and a new attitude. We want that spot in the state 5-A tournament."
Hansen had 14 kills and two aces. Kara Mudrow had 10 kills; Maddi Bitton had eight kills; Lizzy Reich had four kills, four solo blocks, three block assists and eight aces; setter Breckell Soifua had 18 assists; setter Brook Follett had 10 assists; and libero Takenna Hamblin had 10 digs and four aces for Syracuse (12-6 overall).
"I think we're transitioning well to a new coach," Hansen said. "We're playing better as a team this year; we're a lot more united. We get a little quiet at times, so our communication can be better and that's fixable. There is always room to improve."
Aubree Porter had three kills, two digs and one ace; Lexi Hadley had two kills and two digs; Whitney Hatch had one kill and four digs; Veronica Skidmore had one kill and two digs; and setter WyLee Fielding had seven assists and one dig for the Royals (2-10), who have a new coach in Melody Skoubye.
"Today was a little rough for us," Skoubye said. "They get frustrated sometimes, but it's coming. Getting them into the volleyball mentality is the big thing, and the inconsistency affects them."
* fremont def. bonneville 25-10, 24-26, 26-24, 25-22: At Washington Terrace, Kalyn Sotomayor had six kills, 14 solo blocks, one dig and three aces; Kelly Roberts had 14 kills, two solo blocks, 17 digs and two aces; Tavia Young had nine kills, two solo blocks and 20 digs; setter Andy Hancock had 10 assists, one kill and seven digs; and setter Elora Penrod had 10 assists, one kill and 10 digs for the Lakers (5-7).
The Silver Wolves are 6-4.
* box elder def. weber 26-24, 25-15, 25-27, 25-19: At Pleasant View, Stephanie Crapse had eight kills and two blocks; freshman Ellie Bennett had seven kills; and Mitzi Munns had seven kills, two blocks and 11 digs for the Bees (6-5).
The Warriors are 12-7.
* Ben Lomond def. Ogden 25-21, 25-12, 25-17: At Ben Lomond High, Natalie Ruiz had 12 kills, nine digs and three aces; Chakira Walls-Wood had nine kills and 10 digs; Kyra Mathews had seven kills; and setter McKenzey Bingham had 29 assists, two block assists and three digs for the Scots (3-8, 1-0).
Chezarae Garcia had eight kills, one solo block and one dig; Chloe Oki had six kills, four digs and four service points; Elizabeth Emerson had five kills; and setter Clara Call had 19 assists, one kill, five digs and two service points for the Tigers (2-1, 0-1).
* Morgan def. grantsville 25-10, 25-11, 25-23: At Grantsville, Cassidee Lish and McKenzie Schenk each had 15 kills and setter Amanda Porter had 18 assists for the two-time defending state 3-A champion Trojans in their season opener.
* Stansbury def. bear river (four games): At Garland, the Bears dropped 3-9, 0-1.