Dirty water gives Cedar Hills residents giardia
Monday , September 17, 2012 - 11:36 AM
CEDAR HILLS — Officials investigating how a few dozen residents in a Utah County town got sick drinking tap water determined that an irrigation line was hooked up to their municipal water supply.
KSL reportsthe tainted water was delivered to 13 households in Cedar Hills. Officials tell The Associated Press it started happening in July, spreading giardia — an infection that takes weeks to develop.
Cedar Hills Manager David Bunker says utility workers cut the dirty water connection Saturday and flushed the municipal system with chlorine. A boil-water advisory remains in effect until Friday as a precaution.
Officials say it was a confusing problem made worse by the recent bankruptcy of a water company and the fact the subdivision built in Pleasant Grove was later annexed by Cedar Hills.STORY:201209170057Dirty water gives Cedar Hills residents giardia/Local/2012/09/17/Dirty-water-gives-Cedar-Hills-residents-giardia.html-1