WOODS CROSS -- The Clearfield High girls soccer team won its second straight Region 6 battle on Tuesday afternoon, posting a thrilling 1-0 victory over Woods Cross.
Clearfield's Afton Barlow scored the game's only goal in the second half. Meanwhile, senior keeper Kaitlyn Stratton was strong in posting the shutout.
The win solidified the Falcons' third-place spot in the standings, and at 3-2-1 (5-5-1 overall) drew them even closer to the Wildcats (4-2-0, 7-4-0).
"We really earned that win," Falcons coach Lauren Clifford said. "That win was one of the best games we've played all season."
Clearfield has handed Woods Cross its only two league losses.
"The girls came out and we knew we needed to win," Clifford said. "Woods Cross was ranked first in the league and fifth in the state and the girls just looked at it like taking down the big dog."
Clearfield's previous victory over Woods Cross came in overtime.
"In that game, truly we didn't feel like we played our best game," Clifford said. "We said, if you guys can play your best game, we can beat them (again). Everybody had a good game today ... We played (well) the full 80 minutes."
League leader Bountiful whipped Highland 6-1 in the other region game.
* NORTHRIDGE 2, FREMONT 1 (OT): After a scoreless half, each team scored a goal in the final 15 minutes to set up overtime.
In the extra period, Northridge's Dustyn Taylor smacked a penalty kick that was partially stopped by the Fremont keeper, but followed up with a game-winner.
Rachel Trommlitz scored for the Knights (3-3-0, 5-4-0) on an assist from Annabelle Schwab. Fremont's Hannah Loftus answered with a 76-minute penalty kick.
Northridge keeper Josie Manwill made several key saves to help the Knights win their third straight. Fremont fell to 3-3-0, 7-5-0.
* LAYTON 1, WEBER 0: At Layton, the Lancers won on a late goal by Jamie Alvarez while Bailey Dopp earned the shutout.
Weber is now 4-2-0 (league); 7-5-0 (overall). Layton is 2-4-0 (league); 5-5-0 (overall).
* DAVIS 7, SYRACUSE 0: At Kaysville, the Darts blanked the Titans with two goals apiece from Chelsie Dunn and Kennedy Lawes.
Davis improves to 5-1-0 (league); 10-1-0 (overall) with the shutout going to Sarah Beecher. Syracuse is 1-5-0 (league); 3-8-0 (overall).
* BONNEVILLE 5, BOX ELDER 0: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers jumped out to a 3-0 halftime lead and coasted to a shutout with contributions from many players.
Ellee Hall, Emilee Pafunai, Hannah Shore, Tobin Niebrugge, Sienna Thornock all punched in goals for Bonneville and keeper Megan Fillpot blanked the Bees.
Bonneville remained perfect in Region 5 at 6-0-0 (league); 10-2-0 (overall). Box Elder fell to 2-4-0 (league); 5-5-0 (overall).
* MOUNTAIN CREST 2, ROY 1: At Hyrum, the Mustangs came out on top of a close game thanks to goals from Karlee Campbell and Kierra Little.
Mountain Crest is now 4-2-0 (league); 7-5-0 (overall). Taryn Davis scored the only goal for Roy, 0-6-0 (league); 0-12-0 (overall).
In the other region game, Sky View defeated Logan, 2-1. The Bobcats are 3-2-1 (league); 4-7-1 (overall). The Grizzlies are 2-3-1 (league); 4-7-1 (overall).
* BEN LOMOND 4, MORGAN O: At Ogden, the Scots shut down the Trojans on the defensive play of keeper Leanza Driscoll.
Baylee Roche scored a pair and McKennzie Abbott and Sami Rodriguez also contributed goals for Ben Lomond (6-2-0, 10-3-0)
Morgan dropped to 4-4-0, 5-7-0 overall.
* OGDEN 6, BEAR RIVER 0: At Garland, Kiley Porter had a hat trick for the second consecutive game as the Tigers remain perfect on the season. Avery Calton scored twice and had an assist, Amy Ulrich scored a goal and Kelsey East earned the shutout.
Ogden, which led 2-0 at halftime, is 8-0-0 (league); 11-0-0 (overall). Bear River is 5-3-0 (league); 6-6-0 (overall).
* ST. JOSEPH 4, MAESER PREP 1: At Ogden, the Jayhawks improved to 6-0-0 in region, 7-2-0 overall.