SALT LAKE CITY -- Authorities say police surrounded a man who said he had a bomb at the Gallivan Plaza TRAX station in Salt Lake City.
The Associated Press reported that Utah Transit Authority spokesman Gerry Carpenter said Thursday night that light-rail service was shut down at about 9:30 p.m. He says no TRAX passengers are in danger.
UTA stopped its northbound service at Courthouse Station and halted southbound trains at City Center Station. Passengers were being shuttled on buses between the stations.
It was reported that some nearby businesses had also been evacuated.
The Utah Transit Authority confirmed the incident on its Twitter account. "There is a gunman at Gallivan. No traffic allowed in area," UTA officials said via Twitter at 10:10 p.m.
A little before 11 p.m., it was reported that a shot was heard.
A worker in a nearby office building told the Standard-Examiner around 11 p.m. that witnesses saw the man being shot by police.
At 11:15 p.m. a Salt Lake City police spokesman confirmed via KSL TV that the man had been shot by police when he suddenly approached them in a threatening manner. The bomb squad was still investigating at that time to determine exactly what type of device the man had.
The man's condition could not be confirmed.