FARMINGTON -- A new round of refinements to the two alternatives for the West Davis Corridor have resulted in fewer homes, farmland and wetlands being affected.
After further considering information from stakeholders involved in the project and after an additional, more detailed analysis of area wetlands, the Utah Department of Transportation has made changes to the road proposal in select areas of Farmington, Syracuse, West Point and Hooper.
"As we started to receive new information, we felt it was necessary to take a step back and change certain things," said West Davis Project Manager Randy Jeffries. "That's where these refinements came from."
The refinements don't represent sweeping changes to previous routes, but rather small alterations in several spots that draw down the total number of impacts, Jeffries said.
Under the changes, UDOT's Alternative A would result in 31-50 residential relocations and affect 188-197 acres of farmland and 23-25 acres of wetlands.
Alternative B would result in 24-36 residential relocations and affect 119-136 acres of farmland and 45-50 acres of wetlands.
Before the refinements were made, up to 69 homes could have been taken by the road and up to 232 acres of farmland and 137 acres of wetlands could have been affected.
"We have better alternatives now than we've had at any other point in the study," Jeffries said. "And that's attributable to information we've received from residents, farmers, city officials and all the other stakeholders."
A detailed look at the exact changes can be found on maps on the project's website, udot.utah.gov/westdavis.
Jeffries said the West Davis Corridor study team will be meeting individually with interested groups and city councils to discuss the changes.
As a result of the tweaks, a final decision on the corridor will take about a year longer than originally planned. A final record of decision on the road was expected in spring 2013, but that has been pushed back to spring 2014.
A draft of the environmental impact statement will be released in spring 2013 and be followed by a round of public hearings.
Updated cost estimates on the road won't be available until the draft EIS is released.
"The final decision is still a long way away," Jeffries said. "We have no preference on which alternative will be selected at this point."