CLEARFIELD -- It didn't take long for the Clearfield Falcons' girls soccer team to establish that they were the higher seed and the better team.
Behind a fifth-minute goal from Afton Barlow, the Falcons earned a solid 1-0 victory over Olympus in the state 4-A tournament opener, giving Clearfield its first home playoff victory ever.
"We had such a great start to the game that we were kind of hoping that the game wouldn't be long for us," Clearfield coach Lauren Clifford said. "The early goal showed us that we came to play. Our defense was great and having Kaitlyn Stratton back there was big for us cause she made some big saves."
Barlow did her job early as she took a throw in from Brinley Adams and cut across a couple of defenders before lofting her shot into the corner for the only goal of the match.
From there, the defense of Stratton and the back four kept Olympus at bay. The final whistle set off a wild celebration by the home side.
With the victory, the Falcons move on to the quarterfinals where they will face Region 5 champion Bonneville on Thursday at 4 p.m
"This was great for the girls and for the school," Clifford said. "They knew what they wanted going into the season and they believe they can still win games. We would like to get to Rio Tinto but that will come if we can play our game."
* BOX ELDER 4, MAPLE MOUNTAIN 3 (2OT): At Spanish Fork, the Golden Eagles didn't have an answer for speedy Lana Willard as she scored three goals for the hat trick, including the golden goal in the second overtime period, to give the Bees a first-round victory.
Paige Stevens also scored for the Bees, who couldn't hold on to a 2-1 halftime lead as Maple Mountain notched things up to force overtime.
Maple Mountain got two goals from Rachel Bingham, and one from Elise Flake.
Box Elder, the No. 4 seed from Region 5, will take on Woods Cross in Thursday's quarterfinals, set for 4 p.m. at Woods Cross.
* BONNEVILLE 4, OREM 1: At Washington Terrace, four Lakers picked up goals as Bonneville scored twice in each half.
Ellee Hall, Emilie Tafunai, Emilie Volk and Makayla Nielsen scored to help the Region 5 champion Lakers improve their winning streak to 13 games.
* BOUNTIFUL 5, HERRIMAN 0: At Bountiful, the Braves go a strong goalkeeping effort from Charity Cole and two goals from Jenny Skedros to advance.
* WOODS CROSS 2, HILLCREST 1 (OT): At Woods Cross, the Region 6 champs were pushed into extra time before Kyra Fawcett scored the game winner.
Woods Cross' Ashlyn Farnes and Hillcrest's Hannah Sutherland scored in the second half.
* TIMPVIEW 2, SKY VIEW 1: At Smithfield, home field did the Bobcats little good and the Thunderbirds advance to Thursday's quarterfinals.
Alissa Moffet, Ashyly Matthews and Kanui Munoz scored for Timpview. Tierra Shaffer scored Sky View's lone goal.
* TIMPANOGOOS 3, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Lehi, the Mustangs went down to defeat. Timpanogos' Sydney Oldroyd recorded the shutout.