OGDEN -- It will be at least two weeks before a fast-food Mexican restaurant that sustained heavy damage in a Thursday morning fire will be open for business.
The fire, reported at 7:13 a.m., started in the Beto's restaurant in a strip mall at 3585 S. Harrison Blvd.
Smoke also affected Little Caesars Pizza, which is next to Beto's.
Fire officials credited the sprinkler system in the restaurant with quickly extinguishing most of the fire and preventing its spread.
Crews found fire burning in the south wall and quickly extinguished it, according to a news release from Ogden Fire Department.
Late Thursday afternoon, Gloria Lara, owner of the restaurant, said she and employees had spent most of the day throwing out food that was damaged by the fire.
Lara said she was waiting for insurance adjusters to assess the damage. Earlier in the day, fire officials estimated damage to Beto's to be about $20,000.
Lara said she believed the fire was caused by an electrical problem. An employee discoved smoke when he came to work to open the restaurant and called Lara and the fire department.
A total of four engines, one ladder truck, one ambulance, and one paramedic rescue unit from Ogden City Fire Department, South Ogden Fire Department and Weber Fire District were on scene.
One battalion chief and one deputy chief from Ogden City Fire Department were on scene as well.
The early activation of the business's sprinkler system played a huge role in suppressing and preventing the spread of the fire, Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said in the news release.