PLAIN CITY — It has not been the season the Silver Wolves wanted with injuries taking a toll.
“We would have been a lot stronger with a healthier team, but you have to play with who you have,” said Fremont senior libero Sariah Pelaez. “We’re getting healthy at the right time going into state, so we’re excited to see what we can do.”
In their final Region 1 home match Tuesday, the Silver Wolves whipped Layton High 20-25, 25-19, 25-16, 25-18 in 1 hour and 27 minutes in the Wolf Den.
“We came out slow from the start in set 1, and we knew it was an important match,” said the 17-year-old Pelaez. “We heard (Eliza) Katoa might not play, so we tried not to look past them. We pulled together as a team and picked it up defensively.”
Katoa, a Utah commit, has a strained MCL in her left knee that will not require surgery. She was wearing a knee brace and on crutches Tuesday.
“We were clicking in the last three sets and we blocked a lot better,” Pelaez said. “We had a lot of changes with all the injuries. Now that they’re back, it’s a lot easier.”
Siera Green, Kayla Ivins, Amanda Wayment and Megan Gallegos each missed time with injuries this year.
The Silver Wolves’ Rachel Nish had 11 kills and nine digs; Brooke Lamb had 10 kills, three block assists, 11 digs and two aces; Green had eight kills, eight block assists, six digs and two aces; Ivins had four kills, one block assist and two digs; Jessica Quayle had three kills, six block assists and two aces; setter McKenzie Burrows had 37 assists, eight kills, 11 digs and two aces; and Pelaez had 15 digs, three kills, five assists and one ace for Fremont (14-12 overall, 5-4 league), which had 16 aces and 10 service errors.
The Lancers’ Rylee Cate had 11 kills, six digs and three aces; Mckell Moss had eight kills, five assists, eight digs and three aces; Corinne Rhoton had six kills, one solo block, two block assists and one ace; and setter Mikki Hill had 29 assists, six digs and three aces for Layton (16-11, 6-3), which had 10 aces and eight service errors.
• Davisdef. Weber 25-14, 25-15, 25-22: At Kaysville, the Darts’ Kaylie Kamalu had eight kills, three digs and four aces and Marissa Todd had seven kills and three digs for defending state 5-A champion Davis (28-1, 9-0).
The Warriors’ Morgan Bischoff had eight kills and two aces for Weber (13-15, 0-9).
• Syracuse def. Northridge 20-25, 19-25, 25-20, 25-19, 15-7: At Syracuse, the Titans’ Maggie Hansen had 33 kills, one solo block, a block assist, 10 digs and three aces; Maddi Bitton had 17 kills, four solo blocks, five block assists and four digs; Breckell Soifua had 16 kills, three block assists and seven digs; Lizzy Reich had 13 kills, three solo blocks and six block assists; Kara Mudrow had 10 kills, one solo block, six block assists, five assists and two aces; setter Brook Follett had 34 assists, five digs and two aces; and libero Takenna Hamblin had 23 digs, two kills and six assists for Syracuse (16-12, 2-7).
The Knights’ Kaitlin Verbitski had 16 kills, one block assist, 18 digs and three aces; Brittley Eldredge had nine kills, one block assist and two digs; setter Tabby Williams had 38 assists, one solo block, a block assist and 11 digs; and libero Nikki Hansen had 28 digs and one assist for Northridge (13-14, 5-4).
• Bonneville def. Roy 25-20, 25-18, 25-11: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers’ Kalyn Sotomayor had two kills, three block assists, seven digs and six aces; Kelly Roberts had six kills, one solo block, eight digs and five aces; freshman Sam Filiaga had three kills and three solo blocks; Cortney Porter had five kills, three block assists and five digs; setter Andy Hancock had 15 assists, two kills and three digs; and setter Elora Penrod had 11 assists, two digs and one ace for Bonneville (14-14, 5-4).
The Royals are 2-19, 0-9.
• Mountain Crest def. Box Elder 25-18, 18-25, 25-17, 26-24: At Brigham City, the Bees’ Mallory Mueller had 13 kills and four block assists; setter Mitzi Munns had 21 assists, eight kills, two block assists and seven digs; and libero Hannah Wight had 19 digs and one ace for Box Elder (11-18, 2-7).
In the other match, Sky View def. Logan 25-17, 27-25, 25-17.
• East def. Clearfield 26-24, 25-18, 25-23: At Salt Lake City, the Falcons are 4-25, 1-7.
• Stansbury def. Ben Lomond 25-15, 27-25, 23-25, 25-17: At Ben Lomond High, the Scots finished the year at 6-26, 3-9.
• Tooele def. Bear River 27-25, 25-27, 27-25, 25-15: At Garland, the Bears’ Alyssa Park had 12 kills, 16 digs, two aces and nine service points; Stephany Peterson had nine kills and two solo blocks; Caitlin Wiggins had five kills; setter Monica Olsen had 28 assists, one solo block, nine digs, an ace and six service points; and Samantha Getz had two solo blocks and 13 digs for Bear River (8-22, 2-10).
• Grantsville def. Ogden 25-12, 14-25, 25-13, 17-25, 15-13: At Grantsville, the Tigers’ Chloe Oki had seven kills, two solo blocks, six digs and three service points; Madi Kramer had seven kills, three digs and six service points; Addison Bowen had four kills, one block assist and an assist; setter Clara Call had 18 assists, six digs and eight service points; and libero Taelynn Abrego had 17 digs and four service points for Ogden (8-17, 2-10).
• St. joseph def. Layton Christian 25-10, 25-17, 25-19: At St. Joseph High, the Jayhawks’ Britt Sederholm had 10 kills, nine digs and four aces; Jessie Bischoff had 10 kills, nine digs and two aces; Daniele Shinaut had four kills and four digs; Audra Thurston had three kills, four solo blocks and four aces; setter Emily Jackson had 14 assists; setter Bailey Pacheco had eight assists; and libero Mady White had 14 digs and five aces for St. Joseph (21-4, 11-0).
The Eagles are 14-8, 9-3.