OREM — Two more for the gold.
When the nationally-ranked Darts tangle with Region 4 runner-up Pleasant Grove in today’s state 5-A tournament semifinals in Utah Valley University’s Utah Community Credit Union Center, it will be their third season meeting.
Three-time defending Region 1 champion Davis High advanced to the final four for the third straight year Friday with a 25-18, 22-25, 25-13, 25-21 victory over Bingham in 1 hour and 32 minutes.
“It’s so exciting to be back in the final four again. It’s a great, great feeling,” said Darts junior setter Kendall Sargent. “It’s a really good advantage playing Pleasant Grove again. Since we lost to them at the Rocky Mountain Champions Classic (Sept. 8 at Lone Peak) we have a lot of drive to avenge that loss.”
The defending 5-A champion Darts swept the Vikings in their Aug. 21 season opener at Kaysville.
Davis (31-1 overall), which sits No. 31 in the PrepVolleyball.com Century Club National High School Rankings — up from No. 34 in the previous rankings, extended its winning streak to 12.
“We were so ready to go and had prepared really well mentally, so it didn’t matter that we played Kearns at 9 a.m.,” Sargent said. “The 25-2 (set 2) win was so much fun and season highlight. Every single ball we were able to put down; we were just on fire.”
The Darts’ Camille Walker had 15 kills, one solo block, a block assist, three digs and four aces; Kaylie Kamalu had 12 kills, one block assist, five digs and two aces; Tanisha Langston had seven kills, three solo blocks, one block assist and 10 digs; Marissa Todd had six kills, three solo blocks, one block assist, seven digs and one ace; Sargent had 20 assists and seven digs; and setter Jamie Selleneit had 10 assists and three digs for Davis, which had 14 aces and 11 service errors.
• davis def. kearns 25-15, 25-2, 25-13: Walker had 10 kills, two digs and one ace; Langston had nine kills, one solo block, a block assist and one ace; Todd had eight kills, one solo block, three digs and 13 aces; Kamalu had five kills, one dig and an ace; Sargent had 25 assists and three digs; and Selleneit had five assists and two digs for the Darts, who had 17 aces and four service errors.
• northridge def. taylorsville 25-18, 21-25, 25-23, 25-16: The Knights’ Brittley Eldredge had 11 kills, one block assist and three digs; Kaitlin Verbitski had 10 kills, seven digs and two aces; Alex Smith had seven kills, one solo block, six digs and three aces; Alex Gardner had six kills and two block assists; freshman Rachel Parson had two kills, two block assists and one dig; setter Tabby Williams had 14 assists, one kill and 14 digs; setter Aimee Kyed had 14 assists, 11 digs and one ace; and libero Nikki Hansen had 25 digs, two assists and one ace.
• Fremont def. hunter 22-25, 20-25, 29-27, 25-21, 18-16: The Silver Wolves’ Rachel Nish had 15 kills, two block assists, 15 digs and two aces; Brooke Lamb had 15 kills, seven digs and five aces; Siera Green had 11 kills, two solo blocks, three block assists and six digs; setter McKenzie Burrows had 44 assists, six kills and 18 digs; Tyler Funk had 12 digs and three assists; and libero Megan Gallegos had 28 digs, one kill and five assists.
• viewmont def. layton 25-16, 15-25, 25-18, 20-25, 15-11: The Lancers’ Rylee Cate had eight kills, one solo block, two digs and one ace; Corinne Rhoton had two kills, three solo blocks and two aces; Mckell Moss had five kills, one solo block, two digs, one ace and 17 assists; and setter Mikki Hill had 14 assists and one ace.
• pleasant grove def. northridge 25-17, 25-14, 25-11: Verbitski had seven kills, four digs and three aces; Smith had three kills, one block assist, four digs and one ace; Parson had two kills and two digs; Keana Smalls had two kills; Eldredge had one kill and one block assist; Williams had four assists, three digs and one ace; Kyed had 11 assists, one kill and two digs; and Hansen had 11 digs for the Knights (14-16).
• lone peak def. fremont 25-17, 25-11, 25-11: Green had three kills, Nish had two kills and four digs; Lamb had two kills and five digs; Kayla Ivins had two kills; Burrows had eight assists and 11 digs; and Gallegos had seven digs and four aces for the Silver Wolves (16-14).
• Jordan def. layton 20-25, 25-21, 25-15, 21-25, 15-9: Cate had 14 kills; Rhoton had seven kills, two solo blocks, one block assist and two aces; Moss had six kills, 12 assists and two digs; Hill had 17 assists, three kills, two solo blocks, two digs and four aces; and Grace Borges had four kills, one solo block, a block assist and three aces for the Lancers (16-14), who ended the season on a five-match slide after junior outside hitter Eliza Katoa suffered a season-ending knee injury Oct. 11 versus Northridge at the ’Ridge.