OGDEN -- The annual Veterans Day Parade will kick off at 11:11 a.m. Saturday, but it's only one of many events going on this week to mark Veterans Day, which is officially Nov. 11.
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1481 has scheduled a host of smaller ceremonies and observances around Top of Utah to mark the holiday.
In addition to Veterans Day, November has the birthday of the Marine Corps on Nov. 10 and, this year, observances of the 50th anniversary of the start of the Vietnam War.
The parade in Ogden begins at 11:11 a.m. Saturday at 31st Street and Washington Boulevard, goes south to 23rd Street, then west to Lindquist Field for a patriotic ceremony.
The parade will go on, rain or shine.
Other events are:
* Today: 2:30 p.m. flag ceremony at The Gardens Nursing Home, 1415 9th St.
* Today: 5 p.m. flag ceremony at North Ogden Senior Center, 455 E. 2550 North.
* Today: 6:30 p.m. Honor Veterans Ceremony at Utah School for the Deaf and the Blind, 742 S. Harrison Blvd.
* Friday: 9 a.m. Veterans in classroom program at Plain City Elementary School, 2335 N. 3600 West, Plain City.
* Friday: 3 p.m. Veterans in classroom program at North Park Elementary School, 4230 S. 2175 West, Roy.
* Friday: 7 p.m. Veterans Ball at Ogden Eagles, 945 Wall Ave. Big Band music, best dress, $25 a couple.
* Saturday: 9 a.m. Veterans Day Parade lineup at Washington Boulevard and 31st Street.
* Saturday: 10 a.m., West Point Cemetery, 80 N. 4000 West. Ceremony includes a rifle volley by personnel from Hill Air Force Base, musical entertainment and two war veterans will speak about their experiences. In the event of inclement weather, the program will be moved indoors to West Point City Hall, 300 N. 3200 West.
* Saturday: 2 p.m. Dedication of Stone Monuments for Purple Heart recipients by the Military Order of Purple Heart and Veterans Ceremony at George E. Wahlen Nursing Home .
* Saturday: 2:30 p.m., Observance of Marine Corps birthday at George E. Wahlen Veterans Nursing Home. Ceremony with cake and ice cream.
* Saturday: 5-5:30 p.m. observance of Marine Corps Birthday, VFW Post 1481, 907 W. 12th St., Ogden.
* Sunday: 10:30 a.m. Flag Ceremony at New Hope Fellowship Breakfast, 1204 E. 1450 South, Clearfield.
* Sunday: 11 a.m. Central Davis Junior High School Gymnasium, 663 N. Church St., Layton. Layton City Parks and Recreation tribute to veterans includes patriotic music and guest speakers. Refreshments will be served.
* Sunday: 11 a.m. Vietnam War Proclamation and Governor's Veterans Ceremony in the Capitol Rotunda, Salt Lake City.
* Sunday: 3 p.m. Veterans Day Observance, Leavitts Aultorest Cemetery, 836 36th St., Ogden.
* Monday: 7:30 a.m. Flag Ceremony at Rocky Mountain Power Workshop, 1438 W. 2550 South, Ogden.
* Monday: 9 a.m., ceremony at the Riverdale Civic Center, 4600 S. Weber River Drive. Flag raising by the Hill Air Force Base Honor Guard, national anthem and other songs by the 419th Fighter Wing singers, guest speaker retired Maj. Gen. David E. Tanzi, the reading of names added to the city memorial and refreshments.
* Monday: 7 p.m. Parade the Colors Golden Corral restaurant, 988 Washington Blvd., Ogden.