WASHINGTON TERRACE — As the skies opened outside and Utah experienced its first rain storm in quite some time, Ogden High’s Spencer Smith provided an outburst of his own.
Paced by Smith’s 41 points, the Ogden Tigers surged past the host Bonneville Lakers 65-51 on Friday night in non-league boys basketball action.
The Tigers led 39-36 through three quarters of the hotly contested battle, but turned on the gas in the final minutes to pull away.
Smith drilled five 3-pointers. Dayton Wright chipped in with eight points.
Mason Rich paced the host Lakers with 16 points, while Carson Smith chipped in with 11 points.
Ben Lomond 35,
At Ogden’s Ben Lomond High, Josh Hardin hook shot with 40 seconds left proved the difference as the Scots won the battle of tempos.
Hardin tallied 13 points and nine rebounds. Sterling Brandley added 11 points and Sage Eastburn tallied nine points.
Brekkott Chapman scored 16 points for Roy but was in foul trouble much of the night. David Hadley hit three 3-pointers and finished with 13 points.
Roy broke out of a halftime time with a 9-0 run to take the lead. But the Scots finished strong to earn the home win.
South Summit 83,
At Ben Lomond High, the Eagles keep working on a revamped roster but ran into a hot South Summit squad.
Beau Rydalch and Porter Larsen scored 22 points apiece for the Wildcats.
DJ Lacy scored 11 points, Duce Namazi added 10 points and Colin Greenhill chipped in with nine points and 14 boards.
“They played well,” LCA coach Bobby Porter said. “We just need gym time. We’ll get on the same page.”
• DESERT HILLS 57, MORGAN 46: At Richfield, highly touted Thunder broke open a game tied at halftime to post the win at the Sevier Valley Center.
Jake Miles had 18 points and five steals for Morgan, which struggled from the field all night. The game was knotted at 28-all at the break.
Josh Anderson led Desert Hills with 12 points and 11 rebounds while Chase Thompson scored 14 points.
• TABIONA 66, ST. JOSEPH 53: At Tabiona, the Jayhawks had two free throw attempts compared to 27 for the home team and fell despite a strong third quarter.
Down 38-21 at halftime, St. Joseph cut into the margin to trail 50-40. David Donlevy scored 15 points to lead the Jayhawks, while Jordan Jones added 11 and Mitch Koehler chipped in with 10. Zach Johnston added nine rebounds and six points, while Sebastian Pomeroy had seven rebounds and five steals.
• NORTHRIDGE 79, CARBON 54: At Garland, the Knights used a 29-12 first-quarter blitz to put the Dinos away.
Northridge ripped the nets for 15 3-pointers. Jacob Bigler had 29 points, Dallas Bond added 21 and Preston Christensen tallied 18 points.
• BEAR RIVER 54, WASATCH 37: At Garland, the Bears used a strong final to win its second straight at home.
Wade Miller played a big part in the Bears’ win with 20 points. Lody King added 16 points as Bear River outscored the visitor 21-10 in the final period.
Three players had seven points apiece for Wasatch.
• WEBER 70, MOUNTAIN CREST 67: At Pleasant View, the Warriors’ Garrett Beckey came up with key rebounds and free throws to provide the edge for the home team.
Weber was outscored 32-21 after the break but held on. Hayden Schenck scored 30 points, while Beckey finished with 12 points
Tyler Crosbie scored 25 points, Faimafili Laulu-Pututau added 22 and Tanner Knowles chipped in with 15 for the Mustangs.
Weber went 30 of 41 at the foul line. Mason Miles added 10 points and Jaren McKnight added eight points.
• RIVERTON 62, FREMONT 45: At Plain City, the cold-shooting Silver Wolves managed just 19 points after halftime.
Richard Worsham led Riverton with 22 points and 10 rebounds while Stephan Holm had 15 points, three 3-pointers and eight rebounds.
Kade Criswell scored 21 to lead Fremont.
• BOX ELDER 54, SYRACUSE 51: At Brigham City, the Bees got off to a solid start, but had to pull out all the stops to hold of the Titans at the end.
Shad Watson scored 20 points for the Bees, who led 33-20 at halftime. Tyler Bates chipped in with 10 points.
But Syracuse trimmed the lead bit by bit and had a couple of chances to tie or take the lead.
Diante Mitchell scored 17 points, Michael Phelps added 13, and Daulton Whatcott added 11 for the Titans.
• VIEWMONT 64, LAYTON 54: At Bountiful, a third-quarter drought cost the Lancers on the road.
Down 30-25 at the half, Layton managed just six points in the third quarter and never recovered.
Layton shot less than 35 percent from the field.
Jarom Tye had a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds while McKay Richins and McKay Butler each scored 11.
Dallin Johnson and Marcus Kemp scored a dozen points apiece for the Lancers.
• DAVIS 67, COTTONWOOD 43: At Salt Lake City, the Darts enjoyed a blowout win and cleared the bench.
Davis led 39-20 at the break. Zac Fuller led the team with seve rebounds.
Brendan Guzman scored 12 points and Austin Simmons chipped in with 11 points.
• LOGAN 52, CLEARFIELD 40: At Logan, the Falcons made a run in the third quarter and trailed 39-34 before falling late.
Jordan Larsen paced the host Grizzlied with 19 points, nailing four 3-pointers.
Jordan Newby and Marquis Jones paced a balance Clearfield attack with seven points apiece.