NSl road closed, worker treated after fluoride reaction creates toxic fumes
Monday , December 03, 2012 - 4:33 PM
NORTH SALT LAKE — One city employee has been taken to a local hospital after a chemical reaction to fluoride that was being delivered to the North Salt Lake water plant, said South Davis Metro Fire Agency Chief Jim Rampton.
Emergency crews have closed down 1100 North from Main Street to the freeway entrance until further notice, Rampton said.
Crews were called to 40 E. 1100 North, North Salt Lake at about 12:30 p.m. on Monday. A North Salt Lake city employee was unloading the fluoride the city uses in its water treatment plant when the fluoride had a chemical reaction to a residual chemical that was in the pipe of the truck from another delivery, Rampton said.
The city employee, who has not been identified, was able to shut down the plant and stop the delivery by the time crews arrived. But he was overcome by the fumes and was treated at the scene before being transported to a local hospital for observation, Rampton said.
“We’re not 100 percent sure what the chemical was that interacted with the fluoride,” Rampton said.
Hazmat crews are testing the chemical. The road could be closed for several more hours, depending on the results of the test.STORY:201212030023NSl road closed, worker treated after fluoride reaction creates toxic fumes/Local/2012/12/03/NSl-road-closed-worker-treated-after-fluoride-reaction-creates-toxic-fumes.html-1