CLEARFIELD — After consecutive losses to open the season, the Royals are back in the swing of things, earning a dominating victory over Clearfield, a 60-31 whitewash on the road.
The win is Roy’s (2-2) second straight.
Clearfield (3-2) couldn’t hang with the Royals’ tough defense, as Roy held the Falcons to single-digit scoring in every quarter.
Kaitlyn Hurley led all scorers with 24 points, including five 3-pointers, as the Royals had little trouble scoring despite shooting a dismal 9-of-21 from the free-throw line.
Whitney Hatch added 15 points and Jordynn Barrera chipped in 12 in the victory.
Brooklyn Durbano, Jocelyn Jones and Kaitlyn Stratton tied for a team-high six points each for the Falcons in the loss.
• WEBER 56, OGDEN 37: At Pleasant View, Dixie State-bound Erin Reichle scored over 20 points for the fourth time in four games this season for the Warriors.
Reichle, a senior point guard, finished with 22 points, five rebounds, eight steals and five assists.
“She just does everything well,” Weber coach Rick Stoeckl said of Reichle. “She’s a great shooter, great passer, great ball-handling, has great basketball sense and is a great teammate. She wants to share the ball and she can certainly score it. She’s been amazing this year and so much fun to watch.”
Kandice Jensen added 11 points for Weber (4-0), which will face Bonneville tonight.
“Ogden came out and hit some shots, led most of the first quarter, but we hit the last shot (of the quarter) to take the lead,” Stoeckl said, and kept adding to it.
“We’re playing as a team and that’s the most important thing.”
• LAYTON 50, COTTONWOOD 23: At Layton, Maddi Smith and Jaden Anderson led the Lancers with 14 and 11 points, respectively.
• SYRACUSE 64, LONE PEAK 49: At Syracuse, Logan Harker and Jayda Bovero each scored 15 points in the Titans’ home win.
• CYPRUS 35, FREMONT 30: At Magna, Amanda Wayment had 13 points and Shelby Molen added 11 as the Silver Wolves lost on the road.
• COPPER HILLS 64, NORTHRIDGE 50: At West Jordan, the Knights trailed at halftime and could never catch up.
• DAVIS 55, HERRIMAN 45: At Herriman, Jessica Richardson scored a game-high 19 points and Natalie Mecham contributed 12 as the Darts won on the road.
• BOX ELDER 53, BEAR RIVER 40: At Garland, Megan Sutton scored 13 points and Mitzi Munns added 12 as the Bees pulled away in the fourth quarter.
Box Elder made 25 of 32 from the free throw line for a big advantage over Bear River, which went 10 of 27 from the stripe.
Jordan Theurer scored a game-high 17 points for the Bears in the loss.
• SKY VIEW 72, MORGAN 40: At Smithfield, Kendra Falslev led three Bobcats in double-figures with 16 points as Sky View coasted to victory over the Trojans.
• ALTA 49, MOUNTAIN CREST 42: At Hyrum, Lauren Garland scored 17 points and the Hawks bested the Mustangs on the road.
No other details were reported.
• ST. JOSEPH 50, DUGWAY 22: At Dugway, Liz Tomon scored a game-high 17 points while Katie Panushka added 12 and Mady White tallied 11 in a dominating road victory for the Jayhawks.
• LAYTON CHRISTIAN 49, GRANTSVILLE 36: At Grantsville, Teneshia Davison scored 16 points, while Shayla Simpson added 13 points to lead the Eagles past the Cowgirls.
Alissa Atisme added seven in the win.