OGDEN -- A 30-point effort from the Cyprus bench was too much for Ogden to handle as the Pirates handed the Tigers a 68-58 loss at Phil Russell Court on Friday night.
Cyprus guard Marcus Quig tallied a team-high 22 points from the bench (including five 3-pointers) and anchored a speedy Pirate offense that had three players log double-digit scores and amassed a 36-22 lead at the half.
"We are very inexperienced when it comes to varsity minutes on this team," Ogden coach Shawn MacQueen said. "We returned one starter from last year and we're just still trying to learn how to win. I like my group and I know they love playing together but it's going to take some time."
Ogden rallied to get within three in the second half on the back of senior guard Spencer Smith's game-high 23 points and five rebounds.
Center Larry Rodriguez logged 15 points and seven rebounds in the losing effort with the next highest scorers (Dayton Wright and Kameron Laird) at six points apiece. Ogden struggled from the field and shot a paltry 29 percent in the first half.
A seemingly impenetrable Cyprus zone defense kept Ogden from getting inside and forced shots from the perimeter where poor shooting doomed the Tigers.
Ogden fell to 1-3 with the loss and will face Weber on Tuesday.
* NORTHRIDGE 65, JORDAN 63: At Sandy, the Knights battled back from an early deficit to snag the tough road win.
Northridge helped its cause with a 16 of 22 effort at the foul line.
Dallas Bond scored 17 points, Preston Christensen added 16 and Jacob Bigler chipped in with 10 points for the Knights.
Nick Schindler topped Jordan with 14 points, while Chandler Smith added 13.
* MADISON (IDAHO) 49, CLEARFIELD 36: At Clearfield, Marquis Jones scored 14 points, but it wasn't enough for the Falcons in a home defeat.
Jordan Newby, Lucas Cavazotti and Stockton Larsen all added four points each for Clearfield.
* HIGHLAND 63, FREMONT 32: At Salt Lake City, the Silver Wolves hung in there early, but it was all Rams after the first quarter as Highland blew out Fremont at home.
Bryce Graves and Landon Scott tied for a team-high eight points in the Silver Wolves' loss.
* DAVIS 60, BINGHAM 56: At South Jordan, despite trailing by five points at the half, the Darts put together a strong second half, pulling ahead of the Miners for good.
Abel Porter led all scorers with 19 points and Jesse Wade added 15 in the Davis win. Each had four 3-pointers. Braden Koellicker added 13 points, seven boards and three steals.
Bingham big man Brandon Morley had 17 points and 15 rebounds, but fouled out in the finals minutes, and Davis made the key plays to pick up the win.
* OLYMPUS 63, BOX ELDER 56: At Brigham City, the Bees assembled a valiant comeback attempt in the fourth quarter, but came up short in a loss to the Titans.
Tyler Bate paced Box Elder with 18 points and Shad Watson scored 16 points in thier defeat.
* WOODS CROSS 56, ROY 55: At Woods Cross, the Wildcats rallied for a 19-10 fourth-quarter run, edging the Royals in a nail-biter.
Brekkott Champman led Roy with 19 points, Jesse Wayment added 17 and David Hadley chipped in 13 in the loss.
* SPANISH FORK 72, BEAR RIVER 66: At Spanish Fork, Ty Henry scored in a game-high 26 points, which proved to be the diffence in a narrow win over the Bears.
Wade Miller paced Bear River with 18 points , Garrett Fronk scored 16 and Nick Hillis chipped in 14 in the road loss.
* MORGAN 54 DELTA 50: At Delta, Jake Miles scored 19 points and the Trojans used a strong second-half effort to topple the Rabbits on the road.
* SYRACUSE 67, SKYLINE (IDAHO) 56: At Syracuse, the Titans had a strong final-quarter surge against an Idaho team intent on shooting from the outside.
Though Skyline hit 12 3-pointers, the Titans countered with eight more points from the fould line.
Diante Mitchell led Syracuse with 22 points. Daniel Pehrson added 14 points and 12 rebounds, while Michael Phelps added 14 points and Daulton Whatcott added a dozen points. Kade Janes dished out five assists.