LAS VEGAS -- Defending world champion Tuf Cooper took the lead in the tie-down roping season standings Friday night in the National Finals Rodeo, tying for second in the second round.
Cooper, from Decatur, Texas, earned $12,662 to push his season total to $155,341, ending Justin Maass' 10-month run at the top. Maass, from Giddings, Texas, was shut out after failing to finish in the top six, leaving him at $144,001 with eight rounds left.
Cooper's brother, Clif, won the round with a 7.3-second run.
"I'm not really competing against him (Tuf). I'm competing against myself," Clif Cooper said. "I'm going to make the best run I can on the cattle I draw. It's our motto: If I don't win I want him to win it, and if he doesn't win he wants me to."
Tuf Cooper and Monty Lewis of Hereford, Texas, finished at 7.5.
In steer wrestling, two-time world champion Dean Gorsuch of Gering, Neb., was second with 3.9-second run to take over first place in the standings.
Gorsuch has earned $116,067, while previous leader Ethen Touvenell of Napa, Calif., who didn't place among the top six, has made $109,591.
Billy Bugenig of Ferndale, Calif., won with a time of 3.6. Casey Martin of Sulphur, La., finished third in 4.00 and held on to third place in the standings with $100,207.
In barrel racing, 53-year-old NFR rookie Mary Walker of Ennis, Texas, won her second consecutive round, this time in 13.80. Walker remained second in the Standings with $163,807. Leader Brittany Pozzi of Victoria, Texas, placed fifth in 14.00 and stayed in first with $186,568.
Defending world champion Lindsay Sears of Nanton, Alberta, tied for third in the round at 13.91, and is third in the standings with $145,596. Bennette Barrington-Little of Ardmore, Okla., was second in 13.82.
In bareback riding, standings leader Kaycee Feild of Payson, Utah, tied for first at 86.5 with three-time world champion Will Lowe of Canyon, Texas. Feild, who has won or tied for first during the second round the last four years, was aboard Riverboat Annie, while Lowe rode Bi Polar.
Defending world champion Feild has earned $165,638.
"I'm going to come in every night like I'm in last place and got to catch 14 of the best guys in the world," Feild said. "I ride better when the pressure is on me. My motor gets running better."
Lowe moved up to second with $143,412, and Steven Dent of Mullen, Neb., who didn't place among the top six, was third with $140,781.
"My goal is to win every time I nod my head," Lowe said. "Everyone wants to be the rankest person out there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And that's the greatest thing about our sport. There are so many unknown factors that can contribute to a great score or a buck off."
In team roping, header Luke Brown and heeler Martin Lucero, both of Stephenville, Texas, won in 4.0 second, while the top two teams didn't place among the top six.
Header Trevor Brazile of Decatur, Texas, and heeler Patrick Smith of Lipan, Texas, remained atop the standings with $144,649 for Smith and $143,149 for Brazile. Header Kaleb Driggers of Albany, Ga., who has earned $126,571, and heeler Jade Corkill of Fallon, Nev., who has made $122,480, are the second-place team.
In saddle bronc riding, Jake Wright of Milford, Utah; Wade Sundell of Boxholm, Iowa; and Cort Scheer of Elsmere, Neb., tied for first at 84.5. Jesse Wright of Milford, Utah, didn't place among the top six, but stayed in first at $145,760, while Sundell moved up from third to second with $128,563.
In bull riding, Cody Whitney of Sayre, Okla., won the round with an 89 on The Grinch, and standings leader J.W. Harris of Mullin, Texas, was second with an 88 on Cowboy Compactor.
Harris, with $185,315, widened his lead over Cody Teel of Kountze, Texas, who has earned $167,525. Teel did not record a successful ride.
In all-around, defending world champion Brazile, who has won nine of the last 10 world all-around titles, maintained his lead over runner-up Steven Dent of Mullen, Neb. Brazile has earned $258,873, and Dent has made $144,465.
At Thomas & Mack Center
1 (tie), Kaycee Feild, Payson, Utah, on Carr Pro Rodeo's Riverboat Annie, and Will Lowe, Canyon, Texas, on Classic Pro Rodeo's Bi Polar, 86.5 points, $16,343 each. 3. J.R. Vezain, Cowley, Wyo., 85.5, $10,895. 4. Brian Bain, Culver, Ore., 83.5, $7,656. 5. Jessy Davis, Power, Mont., 83, $4,712. 6. Justin McDaniel, Porum, Okla., 81.5, $2,945. 7. Winn Ratliff, Leesville, La., 78.5. 8. Wes Stevenson, Lubbock, Texas, 77.5. 9 (tie), Steven Peebles, Redmond, Ore., and Jared Keylon, Uniontown, Kan., 77 each. 11. Bobby Mote, Stephenville, Texas, 76.5. 12. Matt Bright, Azle, Texas, 76. 13. Caleb Bennett, Morgan, Utah, 74. 14. Steven Dent, Mullen, Neb., 73. 15. Casey Colletti, Pueblo, Colo., NS.
1. Billy Bugenig, Ferndale, Calif., 3.6 seconds, $18,257. 2. Dean Gorsuch, Gering, Neb., 3.9, $14,429. 3. Casey Martin, Sulphur, La., 4.0, $10,895. 4. Trevor Knowles, Mount Vernon, Ore., 4.1, $7,656. 5 (tie), Luke Branquinho, Los Alamos, Calif., and Tom Lewis, Lehi, Utah, 4.2, $3,828 each. 7. Les Shepperson, Midwest, Wyo., 4.3. 8. Todd Suhn, Hermosa, S.D., 4.4. 9. Wade Sumpter, Fowler, Colo., 4.6. 10. K.C. Jones, Decatur, Texas, 4.8. 11. Gabe Ledoux, Kaplan, La., 5.1. 12. Matt Reeves, Cross Plains, Texas, 5.2. 13. Beau Clark, Belgrade, Mont., 7.5. 14. Bray Armes, Gruver, Texas, 16.0. 15. Ethen Thouvenell, Napa, Calif., NT.
1. Luke Brown, Stephenville, Texas/Martin Lucero, Stephenville, Texas, 4.0 seconds, $18,257 each. 2. Derrick Begay, Seba Dalkai, Ariz./Cesar de la Cruz, Tucson, Ariz., 4.6, $14,429. 3. Dustin Bird, Cut Bank, Mont./Paul Eaves, Millsap, Texas, 5.2, $10,895. 4. Travis Tryan, Billings, Mont./Jake Long, Coffeyville, Kan., 5.3, $7,656. 5. Charly Crawford, Prineville, Ore./Jim Ross Cooper, Monument, N.M., 5.4, $4,712. 6. Keven Daniel, Franklin, Tenn./Chase Tryan, Helena, Mont., 9.5, $2,945. 7. Chad Masters, Cedar Hill, Tenn./Clay O'Brien Cooper, Gardnerville, Nev., 9.6. 8. Erich Rogers, Round Rock, Ariz./Kory Koontz, Sudan, Texas, 10.7. 9. Brock Hanson, Casa Grande, Ariz./Ryan Motes, Weatherford, Texas, 12.8. 10. Colby Lovell, Madisonville, Texas/Russell Cardoza, Terrebonne, Ore., 14.0. 11. (tie) Trevor Brazile, Decatur, Texas/Patrick Smith, Lipan, Texas. Kaleb Driggers, Albany, Ga./Jade Corkill, Fallon, Nev.. Clay Tryan, Billings, Mont./Travis Graves, Jay, Okla.. Spencer Mitchell, Colusa, Calif./Dakota Kirchenschlager, Stephenville, Texas, and Turtle Powell, Stephenville, Texas/Dugan Kelly, Paso Robles, Calif., NT.
Saddle Bronc Riding
1. 1 (tie), Wade Sundell, Boxholm, Iowa, on Calgary Stampede's Mad Money. Jake Wright, Milford, Utah, on Mo Betta Rodeo's Shasta, and Cort Scheer, Elsmere, Neb., on Three Hills Rodeo's Big Jet, 84.5 points, $14,527 each. 4. Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D., 83.5, $7,656. 5 (tie), Taos Muncy, Corona, N.M., and Tyrell Smith, Cascade, Mont., 82.5, $3,828 each. 7. Cody Wright, Milford, Utah, 82. 8. Isaac Diaz, Davie, Fla., 80.5. 9. Chad Ferley, Oelrichs, S.D., 77. 10 (tie), Cody Taton, Corona, N.M., and Bradley Harter, Weatherford, Texas, 75 each. 12. Cody DeMoss, Heflin, La., 71. 13 (tie), Jesse Wright, Milford, Utah. Jacobs Crawley, College Station, Texas, and Sterling Crawley, College Station, Texas, NS.
1. Clif Cooper, Decatur, Texas, 7.3 seconds, $18,257. 2 (tie), Tuf Cooper, Decatur, Texas, and Monty Lewis, Hereford, Texas, 7.5, $12,662 each. 4. Adam Gray, Seymour, Texas, 7.7, $7,656. 5. Hunter Herrin, Apache, Okla., 7.8, $4,712. 6. Fred Whitfield, Hockley, Texas, 8.0, $2,945. 7. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche, Okla., 8.1. 8. Cory Solomon, Prairie View, Texas, 8.2. 9. Houston Hutto, Tomball, Texas, 8.7. 10. Bradley Bynum, Sterling City, Texas, 8.8. 11. Justin Maass, Giddings, Texas, 9.5. 12. Shane Hanchey, Sulphur, La., 9.6. 13. Cody Ohl, Hico, Texas, 15.4. 14 (tie), Clint Robinson, Spanish Fork, Utah, and Matt Shiozawa, Chubbuck, Idaho, NT.
1. . Mary Walker, Ennis, Texas, 13.80 seconds, $18,257. 2. Benette Barrington-Little, Ardmore, Okla., 13.82, $14,429. 3 (tie), Lindsay Sears, Nanton, Alberta, and Lee Ann Rust, Stephenville, Texas, 13.91, $9,276 each. 5. Brittany Pozzi, Victoria, Texas, 14.00, $4,712. 6. Nikki Steffes, Vale, S.D., 14.09, $2,945. 7. Kaley Bass, Kissimmee, Fla., 14.12. 8. Brenda Mays, Terrebonne, Ore., 14.27. 9. Trula Churchill, Valentine, Neb., 14.28. 10. Christy Loflin, Franktown, Colo., 14.39. 11. Sherry Cervi, Marana, Ariz., 14.41. 12. Christina Richman, Glendora, Calif., 14.98. 13. Kelli Tolbert, Hooper, Utah, 18.92. 14. Lisa Lockhart, Oelrichs, S.D., 19.01. 15. Carlee Pierce, Stephenville, Texas, 19.02.
1. Cody Whitney, Sayre, Okla., 89 points on Wild Card Rodeo's The Grinch, $18,257. 2. J.W. Harris, Mullin, Texas, 88, $14,429. 3. Beau Schroeder, China, Texas, 87, $10,895. 4. Seth Glause, Cheyenne, Wyo., 86.5, $7,656. 5. Trevor Kastner, Ardmore, Okla., 83.5, $4,712. 6. Clayton Savage, Casper, Wyo., 80.5, $2,945. 7. Cody Teel, Kountze, Texas, 60. 8 (tie), Trey Benton III, Rock Island, Texas. Ardie Maier, Timber Lake, S.D.. Tate Stratton, Kellyville, Okla.. Cody Samora, Cortez, Colo.. Shane Proctor, Grand Coulee, Wash.. Kanin Asay, Powell, Wyo., Tag Elliott, Thatcher, Utah, and Brett Stall, Detroit Lakes, Minn., NS.