MORGAN -- Facing a 6-1 team as well as the state's leading scorer, the Morgan Trojans were confronted with a genuine challenge on Tuesday night. But the Morgan defense rose to the occasion as the Trojans knocked off Judge Memorial and Kailie Quinn, 55-46, to improve to 4-2 on the year.
Breanna Hurlbut, with help from Ali Tonks and Keirsha Dickson, pestered Quinn into a poor shooting night -- including nothing from beyond the arc -- and frustrated her into early foul trouble. Quinn finished with a team-high 14 points, 10 points below her season average.
"You add the fouls she had with the pressure we put on her, and that's a perfect storm for us," Morgan coach Brad Matthews said. "We told those girls, 'We don't care what else happens, you have her. Forget about defensive help, don't worry about where the ball is.' Those three girls went out and did exactly what we asked them to do. They made (Quinn) feel uncomfortable and it worked out well for us."
Junior forward McKenzie Schenk was money for the Trojans, scoring 25 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Fellow post player Lisa VanCampen had her best game of the year with 12 points and nine boards.
"McKenzie is a great shooter," Matthews said. "She's just clutch. That's why she's in there. She makes shots and gets rebounds. And Lisa played well. If we got that out of her every game, we'd be hard to beat."
Hurlbut finished with eight points and six rebounds for Morgan before hobbling off the court with a sprained ankle.
* WEBER 45, BRIGHTON 27: At Cottonwood Heights, Erin Reichle had 22 points, seven rebounds, seven assists, three steals to lead the Warriors. "We went out and held them to nine rebounds in the second half, one offensive, so that was the difference in the game," Weber coach Rick Stoeckl said.
* BONNEVILLE 72, EAST 30: At Washington Terrace, Kayla Eilertson and Emilie Volk tied for a game-high with 15 points each, Savanna Shaw added 11 and Cortney Porter contributed nine points and 12 assists as the Lakers easily overpowered the Leopards.
"Especially after coming off an emotional game with Fremont on Saturday (an overtime victory), they really came out and played well tonight," Bonneville coach Mike Russell said.
* SKYLINE 43, CLEARFIELD 22: At Clearfield, the Falcons fell behind and couldn't make up enough ground at home.
* VIEWMONT 52, FREMONT 48: At Bountiful, the Vikings fought off the Silver Wolves at home.
* LAYTON 51, ALTA 39: At Sandy, Maddie Smith had 15, Ashley Price added 13 and Jaden Anderson had 10 for the Lancers.
* COTTONWOOD 54, NORTHRIDGE 20: At Salt Lake City, the Knights couldn't keep up on the road.
* BOX ELDER 47, OGDEN 31: At Brigham City, Mitzi Munns scored 14 points and McCall Uyematsu added nine as the Bee defended their home court by playing a solid second half and taking care of the ball.
* ST. JOSEPH 58, GRANTSVILLE 36: At Grantsville, Katie Panushka had 21 and Liz Tomon added 19 for the Jayhawks.
* BOUNTIFUL 61, LOGAN 56: At Logan, Kennedy Merrick had 16 points and Tiana Dougher added 15 for the Braves, who overcame 18-point performances by Megan Mills and Lauren Mott.
* SPRINGVILLE 45, MOUNTAIN CREST 27: At Springville, the Mustangs fell on the road.