PLAIN CITY — Despite a strong offensive effort by a pair of veteran players from Layton Christian Academy, the Fremont High boys basketball squad held on for a much needed 62-60 victory on Wednesday night in non-league action at Fremont High.
The win gave the Silver Wolves their first victory of the season.
Layton Christian, the defending state 1-A champion, is still looking for its initial victory of the campaign.
LCA led 33-32 at halftime but Fremont surged ahead after three periods and looked to make the lead hold up.
Fremont, which ended up losing to Bonneville by three on Tuesday, was equal to the task and gave their home fans a victory.
Kade Criswell led the Silver Wolves with 16 points while Landon Scott added 12 and Bryce Graves added 11 as the two combined for six 3-pointers in front of the home fans.
In the oh-so-close loss, Layton Christian’s Colin Greenhill and Duce Namazi led all scoring with 23 points and 20 points, respectively.
The Eagles-Wolves matchup was one of several non-league battles to go down the wire. In other battles,
Logan edged Hunter 61-60, Morgan held off Wasatch 64-62, and Syracuse outscored Mountain Crest Syracuse 63-56.
• SYRACUSE 63, MOUNTAIN CREST 56: At Syracuse, the Titans built a 10-point lead in the first half and held on for dear life.
Diante Mitchell led the Titans with 26 points, while Daulton Whatcott scored a dozen and Daniel Pehrson and Michael Phelps each added eight points. The Titans helped their cause with an 18 of 22 effort at the foul line.
The Mustangs’ Tyler Crosbie led all scorers with 36 points and five 3-pointers.
• SKY VIEW 65, BEAR RIVER 53: At Garland, a poor start made things tought for the Bears at home. Jalen Moore led the Bobcats with a game-high 27 points. Ty Nielsen added 17 points.
Wade Miller had 23 points and three 3-pointers for Bear River. Nick Hillis chipped in with 14 points.
• LOGAN 61, HUNTER 60: At Logan, the teams battled to the end for scoring supremacy. Logan didn’t do well at the line, but made all their late free throws to snag the win.
Luke Falk led Logan with 16 points with two 3-pointers. Brett Dickson and Tyler Brimhall each added 13 and Dallin Dahl chipped in with 10.
Noah Togiai scored 22 and Brandon Davies topped Hunter with 16.
• MORGAN 64, WASATCH 62: At Heber, the Trojans led after three quarters then hung on for the win.
Morgan’s Jake Miles had a game high 27 points and the Trojans made their late free throws.
Bridger Streadbeck added 10 points for Morgan, while Camen Gray added eight.
Gordon Jackson and Chris Johnson led the Wasps with 17 and 15 poins, respectively.
• LONE PEAK 79, VIEWMONT 41: At Bountiful, Lone Peak was sizzling in the second half as it went 8 for 10 from the 3-point line and outscored Viewmont 44-18.
Eric Mika had a double-double for the Knights with 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Nick Emery added 25 points on five 3-pointers.
McKay Johnson led Viewmont with 11 points.
• BEN LOMOND 65, PARK CITY 51: At Ogden, the Scots’ big three came through in style for a nice home win.
Sage Eastburn scored a career-high 19 points, Sterling Brandley added an impressive 18-point, 13-assist night and Josh Hardin scored 15 for Ben Lomond, which went 13 of 18 at the line to seal the deal.
Boston Vanderveur scored 14, and Hayden Daily added 13 for the Miners.
REMINDER TO COACHES: Varsity coaches are encouraged to report the results of their games by calling 801-625-4261 or 801-625-4264.