ROY — Like a frenzied holiday shopper, the Layton Lancers put off their comeback until late, but it was in just enough time for Layton to earn a 63-60 win over Roy in the final game of the Royal Winter Tournament.
The Royals led 42-37 after three quarters, but a few turnovers in the final minutes helped the Lancers pull off the win.
Jaden Anderson led Layton with 16 points, Ashley Price added 14 and Madi Smith chipped in with 13.
Kaitlyn Hurley scored 19 points, Jordynn Barrera added 13, Jaden Whaley added 12 and Whitney Hatch scored nine for Roy.
In the other tournament game, Riverton whipped Murray 53-27.
• JUDGE MEMORIAL 69, BEAR RIVER 60: At Garland, the Bulldogs edged the Bears, who had won two in a row.
Jordan Theurer scored 21 points and added 10 rebounds, while Alyssa Park added nine points for the Bears.
Kailie Quinn led Judge with 22 points, Emily Smith added 14 and Julia Wheatley added a dozen points for the visitors.
• MORGAN 28, CANYON VIEW 27: At Richfield, the Trojans were pushed to the limit but earned the tournament win.
McKenzie Schenk scored 10 points and pulled down seven rebounds for Morgan, while Ali Tonks added nine points and five assists, and Jessica Carter added four assists and six steals.
Josie Platt led Canyon View with eight points.
• St. JOSEPH 49, WENDOVER 20: At Wendover, the Jayhawks more than doubled up the tournament host on Saturday afternoon.
Liz Tomon scored 18 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. Katie Panushka scored 10 points and added six assists for St. Joseph.
The Jayhawks led 14-0 after the first break.
• MORGAN 72, SYRACUSE 68: At Morgan, the Trojans pulled off a heart-thumping win, putting the taste Friday’s loss out of their mouths.
Morgan jumped out to an early lead, but the Titans, playing without Diante Mitchell, stayed in the contest to the end.
Morgan’s Jake Miles had a game high 31 points, including five 3-pointers.
Lantzen Toomer added 12 points and Matt Murdock chipped in with 11 for the Trojans.
Michael Phelps scored 20 points, Danil Pehrson added 12, Daulton Whatcott chipped in with 11 and Josh Herfel scored nine for the Titans.
Syracuse managed just 14 of 23 shots from the foul line.
• ST. JOSEPH 69, ALTAMONT 54: At Ogden, the Jayhawks put on a good blitx through three quarters and coasted to the win.
Nick Gruet had 16 points and five rebounds and four assists for the balanced Jayhawks’ scorebook. Mitch Koehler scored 16 points with six boards, David Donlevy added nine points, five assists and four rebounds, while Jordan Jones added eight points and six boards.
St. Joseph led 58-35 after three quarters.
Dylan Lindsay scored 23 points to lead Altamont, while Khristian Cayias added 15.
• VIEWMONT INVITE: Layton rolled to victory in the Viewmont Invitational on Saturday in Top of Utah wrestling.
Layton score 225.5 points, followed by Mountain Crest (214), Millard (187), Delta (181.5), and Evanston, Wyo. (122).
Host Viewmont scored 118.5 to finish seventh, with Davis (90) 10th and Box Elder (83).
Reminder to coaches
Varsity coaches are encouraged to report the results of their games as soon as possible by calling 801-625-4261 or 801-625-4264.