SALT LAKE CITY -- A fire official says three apartments are damaged and five people are displaced following an early Christmas morning fire blamed on an improperly discarded cigarette.
Salt Lake City fire spokesman Jasen Asay tells the Deseret News no injuries were reported after the fire about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday at a three-story apartment building on South 600 East.
Firefighters were initially hampered by a live power line near the back of the building, but were able to limit smoke, fire and water damage to two apartments. A third unit received smoke damage.
Investigators ruled the fire accidental after an apartment occupant said she discarded a cigarette into a garbage can on a back patio where the fire originated.