ROY — The Royals are trying to figure out their roles, but time, like the calendar, is definitely running out on the Utah high school girls basketball preseason.
Whitney Nemelka scored 25 points and the Huskies kept host Roy at bay for three quarters to post an impressive 57-44 victory on Roy High on Thursday evening in non-league action.
Roy got off to an impressive start to the ballgame, leading 18-6 at the first break in the action.
But Hillcrest outscored the home team 51-26 the rest of the way to improve to 6-2 on the season.
Jordynn Barrerra scored 15 points and Kaitlyn Hurley added 14 for the Royals, who have now lost three of four games in preseason action.
Foul trouble limited Roy’s scoring output after the opening quarter. The Royals didn’t help their cause any by missing 10 free throws.
Whitney Hatch added eight for Roy, now 5-5 on the season, with Region 5 play just ahead.
Brittany Dagleish and Myrsa McVeigh each added 10 points for the Huskies.
Coach Brock Randall and his staff will send the Royals back out for their final preseason game tonight, hosting Weber County rival Fremont at 5:30 p.m.
• DAVIS 68, BATTLE GROUND, WASH. 29: At Gillette, Wyo., the Darts had little trouble with their opponent in the opening game of the Energy Classic Invitational.
Jesse Wade knocked down four 3-pointers and finished with a game-high 22 points as Davis dominated the Washington team from the start.
Cole Hally added 11 points and six rebounds for the Darts, who shot 52 percent from the field while holding Battle Ground to just 27 percent shooting.
Zac Fuller had nine points and a team-high five assists as Davis held the Tigers withougt a field goal in the fourth period.
Jamie Ford led Battle Ground with seven points.
• BONNEVILLE 56, HUNTER 49: At Jordan High, the Lakers picked up a much-needed victory in the first game of the Jordan Holiday Tournament.
Bonneville won the battle of the first and fourth quarters and it paved the way to a win.
Dakota Buckway led three Lakers in double figures with 15 points.
Mason Rich and Sealune Erskin each added a dozen points for Bonneville, which will play again today in the tourney.
Trevon Johnson scored a dozen, Tanner Lavender chipped in with 11 and Noah Togiai scored 10 for the Wolverines.
• LAYTON 57, SKYLINE 41: At Jordan High, the Lancers rolled to victory in the Jordan tournament.
Layton led 14-11 at the first break, and extended the margin in every quarter. Mike Hibbert led the Lancers with 19 points.
Marcus Kemp added eight points for Layton, which shot 14 of 18 at the foul line.
John Boyden paced the Eagles with nine points.
• EAST 64, SKY VIEW 46: At Draper, the Bobcats lost in the opening game of the Jordan tournament, being held at Juan Diego High School.
Sky View trailed 30-15 at halftime.
East secured the home game over Sky View with the help of Parker Van Dyke, who was the high-scorer with 22 points. Jalen Moore was the high-scorer for Sky View, who also scored 22 points.
More than 60 Utah squads are playing in holiday tournaments this weekend. Games will be played today and Saturday, with a few contests set for Monday afternoon. The UHSAA has mandated no games on Jan. 1
• REMINDER TO COACHES: Varsity coaches are encouraged to call in the results of their games as soon as possible each night by calling 801625-4261 or 801-625-4264. Information can also be emailed to email@example.com.