BRIGHAM CITY — With a glossy 7-1 overall record, the Box Elder girls basketball squad welcomed rival Bear River into its gym on Friday evening, but the cross county rivals had a surprise waiting for the Bees.
The Bears rolled past the Bees in the first three quarters, and held off Box Elder’s comeback bid in a 59-42 win to wrap up both teams’ 2012 slate.
Bear River set the tone by scoring 18 first-quarter points, building a five-point lead.
Jordan Theurer, scoring 21 points, led the Bears to the mild upset.
Alyssa Park hit a pair of 3-pointers, and finished with 10 points for Bear River, now 4-8 on the season.
Sarah Huber added nine points for the Bears.
Kaylee Rapp led Box Elder with 14. McCall Uyematsu and Megans Sutton added six points apiece.
The Bear River and Box Elder boys also met on Friday evening, with the Bears winning a nip-and-tuck battle in Garland, 76-72.
• FREMONT 62, ROY 48: At Roy, the well-rested Silver Wolves turned it on in the second half, beating the rival Royals with a 24-point fourth quarter.
Roy led 41-38 after three quarters, but perhaps the effects of playing back-to-back games cost the home team.
Fremont’s Shelbee Molen drilled three 3-pointers in the third quarter to get the Wolves headed in the right direction. Molen finished with 31 points. Amanda Wayment added 21 points for Fremont.
Whitney Hatch and Kairlyn Hurley scored 14 points apiece for Roy. Jordynn Barrerra missed the game due to a knee injury.
• KEARNS 64, OGDEN 40: At Kearns, the Tigers started slow and couldn’t match baskets with the Cougars.
Ogden trailed 35-13 at the break. The Tigers went 11 of 11 at the foul line, while Kearns was 3 of 10.
Dayon Goodman and Darion Brown combined for 35 points for the Cougars.
Spencer Smith scored 18 points, while McKay Smith added seven and Larry Rodriguez chipped in with six points.
• BEAR RIVER 76, BOX ELDER 72: At Garland, Bear River’s Wade Miller scored 42 points to match Shad Watson’s 40 for Box Elder, but the Bees ran out of gas at the end.
The Bees led 36-32 lead at the break.
Tyler Bate scored 12 points, while Darius McFarland added nine points and seven rebounds for the Bees.
Nick Hillis added 14 points while Austin Miller added nine points for the Bears.
• JUAN DIEGO 59, LAYTON 51: At Juan Diego, the Lancers dropped a tough Jordan
tournament game on the Soaring Eagle’s home court. Gabe Colosimo scored 22 for Juan Diego.
Layton fell behind in the second and third quarters. Jarriesse Blackmon scored 17 for the Lancers, while Mike Hibbert chipped in with 14.
• MURRAY 61, BONNEVILLE 41: At Jordan High School, the Lakers hung aruond until halftime but didn’t have enough offensive firepower on the road.
The Spartans led 25-19 at the halftime break. Nathan Aland led Murray with 24 points.
Mason Rich led the Lakers with nine points and eight rebounds.
Jared Ford chipped in with seven points, while Selaune Erskin added five points, four assists and three steals.
• SKY VIEW 50, COPPER HILLS 47: At Juan Diego High, Jalen Moore led the Bobcats with a game-high 26 points in the Jordan tournament.
• DAVIS VS. BISMARK, N.D.: At Gillette, Wyo., the Darts looked to stay unbeaten with a hard-fought win in the Energy Classic Invitational.