I was sittin’ here cleanin’ my Remington when it occurred to me; when will the insanity end!? No, not that insanity (Sandy Hook), the insanity that the pro-gun opportunists are suffering from. Let’s review what the pro-gun opportunists are saying.
1. Guns are the most regulated things in America.
2. The answer to the problem of gun violence is more guns.
3. If there had been a CWP holder or armed security at the mass shootings they could have stopped it.
4. Arming teachers in class will protect our children.
5. Military style semi-automatic rifles are not assault rifles.
6. The “small-caliber” AR-15 rounds are not really that deadly.
7. High-capacity magazines don’t make the carnage worse.
8. Closing the gun-show-loophole won’t do anything to keep guns away from criminals.
9. Obama is going to take away your guns.
There’s more but my space here is limited. Here are my point-by-point responses to these pro-gun opportunists.
1. There are probably more regulations on toy guns than on our real guns. There are actually more laws restricting regulation of guns than there are regulations on guns. When someone uses the line about so many anti-gun laws, ask them to name them. Even the ATF is prevented from even knowing what’s out there.
2. More guns for less violence? Yeah, like faster cars for less speeding. Or, more prescription drugs for less illicit drug use. The statistics are absolutely clear. More guns means more access; legal, illegal, or accidental. And more access means more shootings.
3. Columbine had two armed security guards who actually engaged the shooters. Tucson had a CWP holder who didn’t even get off a shot. Virginia Tech had many armed security police. And even though nobody who was there admits to being armed in Aurora, what CWP holder armed with a small conceal-type, non-scoped, six-round gun is going to engage the body-armor-clad shooter holding the high ground and filling the air with 3200 feet-per-second bullets from a scoped, auto-modified AR-15 with a 100-capacity drum magazine? Nobody.
4. With the combination of state Rep Curt Oda’s open-carry-near-schools law, his armed teachers, his “stand-your-ground” law and his no background checks for Utah-made-guns law, what could possibly go wrong? Bet you guys who bullied little Curt in school didn’t know you were creating a one-man pro-gun-law making machine. What exactly is he compensating for? Congressman Louis Gomert, R-Texas, said that he wished the teacher at Sandy Hook could have reached into her closet and grabbed her M-4 (sitting next to the finger paints?) and blown the shooter’s head off. Gomer Pyle usually made more sense.
5. The NRA is trying to change the subject by re-defining “assault rifle.” I would ask, is the Army’s M-16 or M-4 with the selector switch in “semi-auto” position now not an assault rifle?
6. And this one is the stupidest of all. Not really that deadly? Tell that to the 20 dead kids. Come on, shake it off! Those were only 223 rounds that went through you!
7. Ten rounds before stopping to re-load can kill 10 kids. Thirty rounds before stopping to reload can kill 30 kids. One hundred rounds before stopping to re-load can take down a theater full of people as they try to escape. Ever see a hunter in the field with a 30-round magazine in his AR-15? I didn’t think so.
8. Forty percent of all gun sales happen at gun shows (but we’re only guessing, because there is no actual reporting) and only licensed dealers are “required” to do background checks there. What percent of gun-show sellers do you think are licensed dealers? And is a dealer going to do a background when selling a used gun he took as a trade-in when selling a new one at his shop? No.
9. In four years, President Obama has done zero concerning guns. Oh, wait, he opened up National Parks to CWP holders!!! So, guess again! But, boy, the NRA fear-mongering does sell a lot of guns and ammo. Remember the video of guys hauling as many cases of ammo that they could carry on hand trucks out of the Sandy gun show after the president was elected in ’08? Hope they didn’t get ripped off by having to pay inflated prices. Now it’s happening again and the gun and ammo makers are making a killing (pun intended).
Gotta go finish cleanin.’
“Don’t Taze me, Bro!”
Bennington lives in Eden.