LAYTON -- Two families have been displaced by two separate fires that destroyed their homes.
The first fire occurred at 3 a.m. Friday at 1625 W. Boulder Creek Lane.
"The (family) was extremely lucky to all get out, especially that early in the morning," said Layton Fire Battalion Chief Robert Adams. "Fires that early are the scary ones."
Adams said 20-foot flames were visible coming from the wood deck of the home when fire crews arrived. The fire gutted the kitchen and spread into the attic, causing about $100,000 damage, he said.
A teenage girl heard noises, saw the flames and woke up her mother and grandmother, who uses a wheelchair, and got them out of the house, Adams said.
Firefighters suspect that a light bulb used to warm a dog kennel under the wood deck may have been the cause of the fire. The dog in the kennel was also OK, Adams said.
The second fire occurred in a four-plex at 1:37 p.m. Friday at 539 W. 230 North, Adams said.
A woman was heating oil in a saucepan and got distracted.
When she saw flames coming out, she "tried to move the pan to the sink, but flung the burning oil onto the counter top and the flames quickly moved up the cabinets above the sink and stove," Adams said.
Firefighters extinguished the flames quickly.
All the residents in the four-plex had to be evacuated, he said, but those who lived in the other three units were able to return to their homes.
The fire caused about $30,000 damage. The woman, her husband and their teenage daughter got out of the house safely, Adams said.
Both families are receiving help from the American Red Cross.