SYRACUSE -- A policeman noticing flames coming out of a chimney saved a house from burning down, fire officials said.
Fire crews were called to 272 S. 2000 West, Syracuse at 2:21 p.m. Tuesday just as Syracuse High School students ended their school day, said Syracuse Fire Chief Eric Froerer.
Fire crews closed down 2000 West from 700 South to about 25 South until fire crews got the fire out, which took about 30 minutes.
The fire was contained to the chimney and did not cause substantial damage to the home, Froerer said. Damage was contained to the chimney. The homeowners were inside the house when a police knocked on the door telling them about the fire.
Fire crews used a dry chemical to put out the chimney fire. There was an active fire going in the wood burning stove in the basement of the home.