NORTH OGDEN -- It may have been freezing outside, but the warm hearts of some kind neighbors were evident as Luke Nelson watched firefighters battle a 7:15 p.m. fire in his house Monday on the 500 East block of 3300 North.
Nelson said he believed the blaze started as a chimney fire of his wood-burning stove.
He said he had kindled the fire and went to another level in his 50-year-old home to watch a movie with his family. Twenty minutes later, around 7:15 p.m., a man in his 20s started knocking on his door to tell him his house was on fire.
Nelson said he, his wife, Amanda, and their four boys all got out OK and they were happy about that. Nelson also was able to move two vehicles out of the garage before firefighters arrived.
Flames were seen coming out the roof of the home.
Neighbors were offering their homes for the night and discussing other housing options as Nelson's wife told him which neighbor's house she was taking their children to.
Neighbors were coaxing Nelson to wrap a blanket around himself and were finding hand-warmers to give him as he admitted that his jovial nature was coming from the fact that he was in shock.
"I had two slices of pizza left, in case they try to eat it," he said, pointing to firefighters.