OGDEN -- A home in Ogden sustained heavy damage in a fire Tuesday.
The blaze occurred around 1:30 p.m. at 949 Rushton St.
It appears the fire began in a bedroom and was likely started by the improper use of an extension cord connected to a space heater that may have ignited some bedding, said Ogden Fire Marshal Brandon Thueson.
Heavy smoke was coming from the front and back doors when firefighters arrived. Flames were in a hallway and bedroom, Thueson said.
A woman who lives in the home managed to escape before firefighters arrived. A man who lives at the residence wasn't home. One cat escaped from the house, and one died in the fire.
The man and woman were displaced by the fire and are being assisted with shelter by the Red Cross.
The home and contents had about $60,000 in damages.
More than 20 firefighters from the Ogden and South Ogden fire departments responded and remained at the scene for about four hours.