In response to the letter of Feb. 11, “Many settlers displaced, murdered native peoples,” the first two roadside markers for the Bear River Massacre (then called
battle) were placed near the site in the 1870s. In 1932 the Daughters of Utah Pioneers erected a 10-foot marker made from stones gathered from all over the world. A bronze plaque told the biased account of the happenings during that war. Historical information on the monument can be found in the DUP records.
On October 17, 1990, a new monument was dedicated. This upgrade was recognized by the U.S. government, changing the event from a battle to a massacre. It is now known as Bear River Massacre Historic Landmark.
This year, January 29, 2013, commemorated the 150th year since the massacre. Names of survivors have now been added. Information on these events can be found at the Shoshone business office in Brigham City.