Friday , March 01, 2013 - 12:02 AM
PROVO — Oh so many chances.
BYU — facing what will likely be the No. 1 college basketball team in the nation by next week — had several chances to take or tie the lead in the final minutes against the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
But those shots didn’t fall and No. 2 Gonzaga won 70-65 on Thursday night at th Marriott Center.
Kelly Olnyk scored 19 points and pulled down three rebounds, Gary Bell Jr. added 15 points and the Bulldogs held on for their wwth win of the season.
Tyler Haws tallied 19 points, Brandon Davies added 12 points and Brock Zylstra chipped in with 10 for the Cougars.
The game was tied with three minutes to go, but the Cougars suddenly went cold.
Still, in the final seconds, the Cougars trailed 68-65 and gained possession. Craig Cusick was fouled before he could get the shot off.
Gonzaga led 35-31 at halftime, in front of a huge Senior Night crowd at the Marriott Center.
• MONTANA STATE 62, SOUTHERN UTAH 61: At Cedar City, Christian Moon scored 17 points and Antonio Biglow gave Montana State its only lead of the game with about a minute remaining as the Bobcats defeated Southern Utah.
Biglow scored on a layup with 1:11 left to put Montana State ahead for the first time, and the Bobcats (11-15, 8-9 Big Sky) held on to snap a five-game losing streak.
Paul Egwuonwu added 14 points and 13 rebounds for Montana State. Xavier Blount had 13 points and Biglow finished with 10 points and seven assists.
Jackson Stevenett scored 19 points and Jayson Cheesman had 11 for Southern Utah (11-16, 8-9), which led by as many as nine points in the first half. The Thunderbirds outshot the Bobcats (46 percent to 36 percent) but were outrebounded 41-31 and committed 14 turnovers to just eight for Montana State.
• NORTHERN COLORADO 88, EASTERN WASHINGTON 80 (OT): At Cheney, Wash., Derrick Barden and Tevin Svihovec each scored 5 points in overtime to pace Northern Colorado over Eastern Washington.
Barden had a big all-around night for Northern Colorado (10-17, 8-10 Big Sky). Tyler Harvey scored 22 points to lead Eastern Washington (9-19, 6-11).
• NORTHERN ARIZONA 67, IDAHO STATE 58: At Flagstaff, Ariz., Gabe Rogers scored 24 points and Northern Arizona held Idaho State to just 20 points in the second half.
Northern Arizona (11-17, 8-9 Big Sky) also got 13 points from DeWayne Russell and 12 points and six assists from Stallon Saldivar.
Idaho State (5-22, 4-13) was led by Melvin Morgan, who scored 17 points.
• UTSA 74, IDAHO 56: At San Antonio, Michael Hale III scored 26 points and UTSA won its third straight game.
Kannon Burrage added 16 points and Jeromie Hill had 12 for the Roadrunners (8-19, 3-12 Western Athletic), who shot 54.5 percent from the field and committed just six turnovers.
Mike McChristian led Idaho (10-17, 5-11) with 19 points. Kyle Barone added 13 points and 15 rebounds, and Connor Hill scored 10 points.
• TEXAS STATE 67, SEATTLE 65: At San Marcos, Texas,Joel Wright and Deonte Jones scored 16 points apiece as Texas State defeated Seattle.
The Bobcats (9-19, 4-11 Western Athletic) took the lead for good, 58-57, on Jones’ layup with 2:55 remaining. Chad Rasmussen led Seattle with 18 points.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.