More charges filed against layton eatery worker
Thursday , March 21, 2013 - 7:25 AM
LAYTON — A 50-year-old man accused of groping three servers at a local restaurant has entered not guilty pleas to charges.
Sukhjit Singh Walia entered the pleas in 2nd District Court in Layton on Wedensday before Judge Robert G. Dale.
He is charged with six class A misdemeanor counts of sexual battery and one count of attempted sexual battery, a class B misdemeanor.
A preliminary hearing had been scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, but 90 minutes later, Walia waived his right to the hearing and entered the pleas. Another hearing is set for April 2.
His attorney, Adam Nash, said he plans to enter a motion to have the charges separated because there are multiple victims.
Assistant Layton City Attorney Clint Drake said he will file a motion to keep the charges together.
An employee of Taste of India in Layton reported that Walia had inappropriately touched her in June of 2012, police said.
Police investigated and learned that two other employees wanted to report the same conduct.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.