PROVO -- Several blocks were closed off around a chemical company in Provo while firefighters and a Hazmat crew responded to a chemical spill.
Neighbors spotted smoke coming through the roof at Wiltec on West Street about 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
Provo Fire Battalion Chief Tom Augustus told the Provo Daily Herald that the company that studies chemical reactions was testing sulfur trioxide when a research tube failed. He says it caused an unexpected chemical reaction that involved a significant amount of smoke.
Firefighters found it wasn't a fire but still cause for concern. Augustus says the smoke was quickly dispersed by the wind, and no one was in danger. Employees were allowed back in within about three hours.