WEST BOUNTIFUL -- Talk about a kick in the pants.
Rather than youth league soccer players kicking the ball around Saturday at West Bountiful Elementary School, the athletes, coaches and fans were kicked off the field by West Bountiful Police because of a scheduling miscommunication.
According to school district and recreation officials, the problem has since been addressed.
The incident appears to stem from a miscommunication -- between the South Davis Recreation District, which is the soccer league's sponsoring agency, and the Davis School District -- about whether the fields had been reserved for play.
"The games concluded quickly after questions arose about whether the recreation program group had reserved the playing field," Davis School District spokesman Chris Williams said in an email to the Standard-Examiner.
"In a meeting (Monday) morning, with representatives from the South Davis Recreation Center, West Bountiful Police and the school district, it was concluded that the matter occurred because of simple miscommunication between the entities," Williams said.
"The groups jointly apologize to the players and parents who were inconvenienced Saturday. Plans are now in place for better future communication so that the situation will not occur again. The fields had, in fact, been reserved," he said.
Williams' statement was expected to be jointly posted by West Bountiful city and the recreation district.
The Saturday games, which were stopped with the youths and parents being provided little in the way of an explanation, will be made up on the schedule.
"Our soccer games will continue as scheduled," said a South Davis Recreation District employee named Betsy, who refused to give her last name.
"A June 22 make-up day has been scheduled for 3- and 4-year-old soccer players who didn't get to finish their games Saturday morning at West Bountiful Elementary School," Williams said.
In a related note, 5- and 6-year-olds who were scheduled to play flag football on the same field Saturday will also have make-up games scheduled for June 22.
Parents contacted media and officials associated with the different entities in search of an explanation after being caught off guard by Saturday's stoppage in play.
The previous week's soccer games had been held at the school without incident.