LAYTON -- City leaders have approved the rezone of almost 10 acres of property at the northeast corner of Church Street and Fairfield Road and have given preliminary approval to a development plan to construct 32 single-family homes on the property.
In action taken recently, the city council voted 4-0 in favor of a rezone request for 9.95 acres of property currently owned by the Dale Corporation and the Haven J. Barlow Trust. The property was zoned for agricultural use but was rezoned to R-1-6. The council also approved a development agreement as part of the discussion.
The odd-shaped parcel of property, which fronts the Lindquist Mortuary on Fairfield on the west and cuts diagonally from Antelope Road until it intersects with Fairfield, will include single-level homes of 1,600 and 1,400 square feet, targeted at seniors. The parcel is currently undeveloped.
As part of the proposed development plan, Church Street will be straightened where it intersects with Fairfield, and eventually a stop light will be placed at the intersection, said Bill Wright, director of community and economic development.
The development is being driven by Ovation Homes.
A public hearing on the rezone drew only one resident comment. Kay Carter, whose property on Antelope borders the 10-acre parcel, wanted to know about fencing between the development and her horse property. She also wondered where access to the development would be located.
Wright said there will be a fence requirement as part of the development plans but said plans for access are still undergoing review. He said initially developers were going to provide access to the development from Church Street and from Fairfield but said those plans are being reconsidered and both access points may be from Church Street.
Councilwoman Joyce Brown wanted to make sure none of the proposed development property is located in the accident prevention zone from Hill Air Force Base and was told the property is just south of where the zone extends south in the city from the base runways to the north.
Wright said he expects the developer to use the same single-family model homes that are being constructed at the Chapel Park Subdivision in the south part of the city.
He said under the development agreement at least 80 percent of the homes must have at least 1,600 square feet, and the remaining 20 percent in the project area must be no less than 1,400 square feet in size when completed.