OGDEN -- Anniversary services set for 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday will mark 105 years of worship at the Embry Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
The Rt. Rev. T. Larry Kirkland, presiding bishop of the Fifth Episcopal District, is the speaker at 3:30 p.m. service.
The community is invited to celebrate the anniversary with members at the church, 264 30th St.
Embry Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church is named in honor of James Crawford Embry, the 25th bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
"Bishop Embry has a vital impact on the progress of the AME Church," states a history of the Ogden church.
"His contributions include constructing the AME Publishing House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; purchasing the Southern Christian Recorder for the AME Church; publishing the revised Allen AME Church Hymnal in 1892; writing books on theology and church administration, including The Digest of Christian Theology; Marriage and Divorce; and Our Father's House. He served as a member of the First Ecumenical Conference on Methodism in 1881."
Embry AME Church is a connectional church of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, according to the church's history.
The church is under the jurisdiction of the Rocky Mountain District of the Desert Mountain Conference of the Fifth Episcopal District.
Embry Chapel AME Church was organized in 1908 at 212 24th St. in Ogden. A lot was purchased at 1817 Pingree Ave. in 1909, but construction of the first Embry Chapel Church building wasn't started until 1911. The building was finished the next year.
There were many activities for the families of the early church members. Everything for their children centered around the church.
The small church on Pingree Avenue sponsored the Piney Woods Singers from Piney Woods College in Mississippi, a small black college that sent students out each summer to raise funds for the school.
In September 1956, the Rev. Melvin L. Shakespeare, known as the "Great Builder," was sent by Bishop Fredrick Jordan to make plans for a larger facility. Many events were spearheaded by the members of the church to raise funds for the church to be built on 30th Street in Ogden.
Gertrude Stewart organized many church dinners in downtown Ogden to raise money for the new church. The famous radio performers "Wings Over Jordan," who had a regular national Sunday program, gave performances at Embry Chapel.
The famous national gospel musician and composer of some of the gospel songs used in Methodist and Baptist churches, Doris Akers of Los Angeles, and many other entertainers from all over the world presented several programs at Embry Chapel to support the fundraising activities.
A ground-breaking ceremony was held for the new Embry Chapel Church at its present location on June 14, 1959. The church was dedicated in the latter part of the year.
A ceremony was held in 1972 to burn the mortgage of the church.
Currently, Embry Chapel AME is under the leadership of the Rev. Charles Timothy Wright, pastor; the Rev. Jonathan Rhone, presiding elder in the Rocky Mountain District; Mary Kirkland, Episcopal supervisor, Fifth Episcopal District; and the Rt. Rev. T. Larry Kirkland, Fifth Episcopal District.
Some of the current active ministries of the church are: Music Ministry, Women's Missionary Society, Lay Organization, Bible Study, Prayer Meeting, and Sunday School.
For more information, call the church at 801-394-2338.