Fire damages Mount Ogden Junior High's cafeteria

Jun 12 2013 - 12:50am

Images

REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner 
Ogden firefighters clear debris and hot spots in the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday.
Ogden firefighters stand outside the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday. 
REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner
REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner 
Ogden firefighters clear debris and hot spots in the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday.
REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner 
Ogden firefighters clear debris and hot spots in the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday.
Ogden firefighters stand outside the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday. 
REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner
REYNALDO LEAL/Standard-Examiner 
Ogden firefighters clear debris and hot spots in the cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High in Ogden on Tuesday.

Related Slideshows

OGDEN -- The cafeteria at Mount Ogden Junior High School sustained about $50,000 in damage Tuesday in an accidental fire apparently caused by an electrical cord.

Fire crews responded to the school, at 3260 Harrison Blvd., shortly before 10 a.m., said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the cafeteria on the north side of the building.

The school was vacant except for five student custodians who were inside and got out on their own when they heard a fire alarm, Bauman said. Fire crews searched the school to ensure no one else was inside.

Students who had met at the school to travel to a summer school program were in a bus parked in front of the building when the fire broke out but were never in danger, Bauman said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

It's fortunate classes weren't in session, Ogden School District Superintendent Brad Smith said Tuesday morning at the fire scene, adding that the cafeteria will be repaired.

"People hurt ... we can't deal with that," he said.

Construction crews had been working in the cafeteria area stripping mastic, a type of resin, from the floor after tiles had been removed, Bauman said. Electricity from a cord that had been plugged in by a construction worker apparently arced and ignited fumes from the substance used to strip the mastic, causing several fires, he said.

The cafeteria has extensive fire damage and other areas of the school received smoke damage.

Twenty firefighters from the Ogden Fire Department and Weber Fire District quickly extinguished the fire and limited its spread, Bauman said.

The fire is being investigated by the Ogden fire marshal and state fire marshal's offices.

From Around the Web

  +