EDEN -- In light of a small fire caused by a stray round of ammunition at a gun range, officials are warning residents to use caution as fire season heats up.
Weber County Fire Warden Travis Peterson said the fire started around noon Friday, just beyond a gun range near Avon Road. A round from someone shooting at the range sparked the blaze, which ended up burning about a half-acre.
The fire could have been much worse, Peterson said, if it hadn't been stopped by a fire break that was installed a few years ago because of the high risk of fires in the area.
"It's fortunate it wasn't worse," he said. "There's a deceptive green up there. It looks green, but we're getting signs of fire activity already. Crews did a great job putting it out today."
Peterson said the person who fired the round wasn't breaking any laws or fire restrictions but was still responsible for the fire. He urged people to be cognizant of fire danger, both when firing guns and when lighting fireworks.
"People need to take the fire risk into account," Peterson said. "People need to be aware of where bullets or fireworks could land -- not just where they think they'll land, but where they could."
Shifting winds, ranging from two to 10 miles per hour, helped spread the fire, Peterson said. Three engines from the Weber Fire District, one state engine and one helicopter from the Forest Service responded to the scene.