LAYTON -- An apartment fire Thursday night caused around $14,000 in damage and led to an evacuation of about 15 people. The fire occurred at Stonehedge Apartments, near 215 N. Fairfield Road.
Layton Fire Department spokesman Doug Bitton said crews were alerted to the fire around 10:50 p.m. and quickly extinguished it, containing it to a single apartment.
The fire is believed to have started around the stove, Bitton said. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen area, but there was smoke damage throughout the apartment. No one was inside the apartment when the fire started, Button said. The blaze is under investigation but is believed to have been accidental.