TX. wants you!
Monday , July 22, 2013 - 1:58 PM
New adventures await every day in high school, from academic challenges in the classroom, to cheer-your-heart-out sporting events, to zany antics with friends.
We’re looking for teens to write about their high school years for the Standard-Examiner’s TX. section, which is published every Monday. We need students who are willing to write stories, take photographs, draw illustrations or shoot videos for TX. online and in print during the 2013-2014 school year.
Here’s your chance to rave about your favorite movies or concerts, or sound off on the latest hot issues. If you are interested in joining TX., here’s what you need to know about turning in an application.
All TX. staffers must be:
• Sophomores, juniors or seniors, ages 15-18.
• Residents of Davis, Weber, Box Elder or Morgan counties.
• Able to attend staff meetings at the Standard-Examiner at 4 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
• Able to meet deadlines.
Every applicant must send:
1. Name, address, phone number, email address, high school, age and grade attending this fall.
2. An essay, in 200 to 400 words, explaining why you want to do the job. Tell us why you’ll be the best-ever photographer, school correspondent, concert reviewer, etc.
3. A statement from parent(s) or guardian for permission to work for TX. (if you are under 18).
Also, please send these additional items for the type of work you are interested in. You may apply for more than one position.
1. One sample TX. article — a new, original story that you’d like to write for the section. It can be a feature story, opinion column, movie or CD review, concert review or any topic that you think teens would like to read about.
2. One more sample of your writing, either a second TX. sample story, or an article from a school newspaper or a school writing assignment from any class. DO NOT send poetry.
3. Three ideas of events that you could possibly cover at your school during the coming year.
Sophomores begin as interviewers, collecting quotes and comments from local teens so that TX. can cover as many schools as possible. They may also write their own TX. articles.
1. Applicants will be personally interviewed; plan to bring in a portfolio of your work and camera equipment (digital cameras are preferred). We will call to set up an interview.
Applicants may send photo samples with applications, but that work will not be returned. If you have experience shooting video, or would like to try creating video content for TX., tell us about your qualifications or interest in that as well.
1. Send two color samples (samples will not be returned) with applications. Teen-oriented illustrations will catch our attention. Finalists will be notified by phone and may be asked to do a sample assignment or come in for an interview with a portfolio of their work.
All work done for the TX. section is voluntary. Please mail your application and other items specified to:
TX. — Becky Cairns
332 S. Standard Way
P.O. Box 12790
Ogden, UT 84412-2790
Applications must be postmarked or turned in at our office by July 22. Students who are selected will begin attending staff meetings in September.
For more information, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call editor Becky Cairns at 801-625-4276.STORY:201307220011TX. wants you!/Lifestyle/2013/07/22/TX-wants-you.html-1