Roy won't release details about Whinham

Thursday , March 06, 2014 - 1:10 PM

Tim Gurrister

ROY — In a letter issued to media Friday, city officials declined to release the details of the investigation that apparently led to Roy Police Chief Greg Whinham’s sudden resignation July 17.

City Attorney Andy Blackburn’s legal review of a Government Records Access and Management Act request from the Standard-Examiner for the findings of the investigation cited seven areas under the GRAMA statute that makes the report a protected record.

The investigation was requested by city officials in placing Whinham on administrative leave two weeks before he resigned amid a rumor storm regarding an affair alleged with an employee.

The alleged affair was reported to the state division of Police Officers Standards and Training. But POST declined to investigate, saying the agency no longer disciplined officers for alleged extramarital affairs.

But Whinham’s ex-wife went to bat for him, contacting media to say there was no affair, their mid-June divorce amicable.

City officials have never commented on the allegations against Whinham except to say they were not criminal in nature. And the investigative report by Assistant Layton City Attorney Steve Garside was described as less than 10 pages in length.

Blackburn, who has served as point spokesman during the controversy, remained guarded Friday.

“All I can say is there are a number of provisions in GRAMA that protect this record from public disclosure,” he said. City officials would risk a lawsuit by Whinham personally for any such disclosures under privacy statutes regarding personnel matters, he added.

Chief to the GRAMA decision was the fact Garside’s report was considered incomplete, a draft, according to the city’s one-page denial letter. The city council had asked for more information on allegations Garside considered outside the scope of his investigation, the letter said.

“Prior to the inclusion of these items in the investigation and in the draft, and prior to city council carrying out any actions, the chief submitted his resignation,” the letter said.

Garside was not available for comment Friday.

Whinham had been with the force 29 years, as chief since 2001.

Whinham has declined comment throughout, but in his letter of resignation he admitted making mistakes, but said they were “procedural and not criminal or moral in nature.”

Sign up for e-mail news updates.