CLEARFIELD -- Fire crews from several cities responded around 5:40 p.m. Monday to a two-alarm structure fire near a home at 1660 E. 900 South in Clearfield, where three RVs and one house was burned.
North Davis Fire District Capt. Allen Hadley said the fire that caused about $250,000 in damages started when a man was working on his RV's carburetor and some carburetor fluid caught a spark.
Hadley said the fire quickly spread to other RVs because that vehicle was parked in an area, provided by a senior citizen community there, for parking such vehicles.
"These were some pretty high-dollar trailers that were burned," he said.
Each of the RVs involved in the fire had a separate owner, he said.
At one point, propane tanks from one RV exploded, spreading the fire rapidly.
Hadley said the flames were thrown to the exterior of one home, but the fire damage was kept to the outside.
"We were able to knock down the fire within 15 or 20 minutes once we arrived on the scene," he said.
However, the family in the home where the fire spread was displaced for a time while the damaged area is cleaned up.
Hadley said he had not seen a fire of this nature spread to this extent before.
The fire was deemed a two-alarm blaze because of the heat and the exhaustion to firefighters.
Assisting were crews from Layton, Clinton, Syracuse, Sunset, Kaysville and an ambulance from Roy.